chapter four

The pair hurriedly made off towards the diner, trying to get out of the rain as quick as possible. Piper remembered passing by it earlier on her way to work, it was packed to the brim with customers. Now, there wasn't a soul in sight except for one waitress who looked like she could fall asleep at a moments notice. The two of them made it inside and chose a booth towards the back. They sat across from one another, removing their coats as the waitress sat down menus in front of them.

"Welcome to Pikes Place, what'll y'all be drinking tonight?" The waitress asked, a southern draw in her voice. Piper wondered where she was from. She hadn't heard an accent like that since she left the East Coast. "I'll just have some water. Piper, you get anything you want, okay?" Eddie said with his face down in the menu, his fingers playing with the edge of the lamented paper. "I'll just have a water too, thank ya ma'am." Piper finally decided, smiling up at the waitress. "Now if you don't mind me askin, where're you from? I know that accent ain't from around here.." The waitress asked, studying Piper over as she awaited for an answer.

"Uh well, I grew up in North Carolina. I just moved here a couple of days ago, so you're right. I'm not from around here." She smiled up at the older lady. The waitress looked shocked. "Well I'll be... North Carolina huh? What a small world. That's where I lived for 32 years before I moved here. I don't miss it in the slightest." She huffed as she tapped her pen on the end of the table. "I'll be right back with yall's drinks, alright honey." She added as she spun on her heels and walked back through the doors into the kitchen area.

"So you're new around here, Miss Southern Belle?" Eddie suddenly teased in the worst fake southern accent Piper had ever heard. His focus was still on the menu so she hadn't expected him to overhear her conversation with the waitress. "I'll have to take you on my world renowned tour of the city, show you all the sights.." He suggested as he looked up from the menu, those striking blue eyes sending her heart into a frenzy. "I'm kinda new here myself.. so we can explore too.. If you want.." Piper couldn't control the smile that spread across her lips, that was four times now that he offered to hang out with her.. like he kept coming up with reasons to see her..

yeah right.

"Yeah, that'd be cool." She finally answered as she used the menu to hide her burning cheeks. He nodded and smiled before he went back to his own menu, leaving her to her thoughts when she realized she hadn't even looked at the food choices yet, let alone knew what she wanted.. The only thing she had ate was avocado toast this morning, which was filling but that was also before 11 am. It was now almost 7 pm at night.

She studied the menu for a while trying to decide what she wanted when she heard a "pssssst" come from the man seated across from her. She looked up to find him staring at her, his bright amused eyes were the only thing she could see peering over the top of the menu.

"Yknow they give you free cake if it's your birthday.." He suggested, his eyebrows raised with a mischievous look taking over his face. "It isn't my birthday, Eddie..." Piper laughingly informed him, her eyes darting to the kitchen door where she saw the waitress on the other side placing their drinks on a platter. "It is today!" Eddie exclaimed in a quick whisper as the waitress arrived and sat their drinks in their respective places.

"Now, what can I get you two on this rainy evening?" She asked, flipping open her notepad to write down their order. Piper ended up getting a simple burger and fries. Eddie, on the other hand, ordered enough for a small army but not forgetting to include Pipers beloved mozzarella sticks. It wasn't long before their food came back, a perk of being the only two customers in the entire restaurant. The pair dove in like they were starving. The food was absolutely delicious., it reminded Piper of the small town diners they had back home. If there was one thing she missed about the south, it was definitely the food.