chapter fifteen

Piper managed to get through the work day relatively okay except for a few moments where she had to excuse herself to the back room in order to gather herself. She trained the new girl Eva and showed her the ropes as Pops had done for her when she first started, explaining his organizational methods and which books were good to keep as she went through a box with her for practice. They finished up with the one box when Piper asked if she thought could do the rest by herself, receiving an eager head nod from the dark headed girl. "Okay, I'll just be in the back room if you need me for anything." She stood up from her knees and made her way to the back where she headed straight for Pops record player. The store was way too quiet. She closed her eyes as Mary-Anne's song filled the room softly, causing an ache in her chest as she remembered Pops saying that she and Eddie reminded him of the olden days with his girl. She wondered if he ever accused Mary-Anne of cheating with one of his friend...

She shook her thoughts away and sat down behind Pops desk and began scribbling away at the dreaded paperwork when a soft knock came from behind her at the open door. She sighed as she swiveled around in the chair, slightly annoyed that Eva needed help already. She turned to see her standing in the doorway with a slight smile on her face. "You need something?" Eva shook her head no before she spoke over the music. "No, I've got it. I just wanted to see if you were okay, actually." She walked further into the room before she continued. "I kinda heard you crying earlier but... I didn't wanna say anything cause we don't really know each other yet but then again, I didn't wanna not say anything and come off as an uncaring bitch, yknow?"

The long winded statement made Piper laugh as she shook her head, her eyebrows creasing. "It's just boring relationship shit, honestly. I'm alright, thank you for checking." Eva shook her head again, smiling. "There's another thing also.." She started as she pointed a thumb over her shoulder. "There's a guy out here asking for someone named OJ... I told him there wasn't anyone by that name here but he won't leave, should I call the cops or something..." Piper laughingly sighed and ran a hand down her face before she told Eva that she'd come handle it as she got up from the desk.

She followed Eva out of the back room to see Chris with his back towards them, eyeing through one of the bookshelves when he heard them enter the room and turned around.

"There's my favorite breakfast juice." He said grinning his devilish smile. Eva glanced at Piper with a raised eyebrow as she walked back to her spot and continued sorting. "Hello Christopher... you need a book or something?" He shook his head, causing his curly hair to swing as he let out a big fat "nope" that popped.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing.. You told me to leave your house earlier, but didn't mention your job so here I am." Piper leaned on the front desk with her chin resting on her hand as she closed her eyes and laughed at his stubbornness.

He walked closer and stood at the desk in front of her, his tall form casting a shadow as she turned her head up and looked at him. "I'm just peachy, Chris. My 'boyfriend' probably hates me now for no fucking reason. ...And I started my period, that just added insult to injury." Chris shook his head, his face wrinkling up. "Yeah, I started mine too, we must be synced up or something."

That caused Piper to laugh again as she rolled her eyes. "How did you even know where I work?" She asked as she eyed him closely, her eyes squinting.

"Not to sound like a creeper or a pervert, which you already think I am one apparently... but Eddie mentioned it in passing once while we were talking and I remembered." Piper flinched as she heard his name, making her heart sting in her chest. Chris could tell that it had bothered her as he looked down sympathetically, his voice dropping.

"He still hasn't called?"

Piper sighed out a "no" as she ran a hand through her hair and looked over to see Eva, who was obviously eavesdropping, quickly snap her head down back to the stack of books she was working on.