chapter twenty one

On the way to the bar, Eddie had filled Piper in on the whole drummer fiasco, how Dave just happen to be in the audience when they filmed the Alive video after Matt had recommended him to take his place. He was good, of course, but he and Eddie had butted heads about numerous things on numerous occasions since he had joined.. It didn't help that he hit on Piper right off the bat as well.. But being the person that Eddie is, he managed to put his feelings to the side...

for now..

Piper was sat next to the window, gazing out at the traffic passing by on the fluorescent streets when her eyes focused on the water droplets sliding down the glass. The boys were picking what alcohol and food to order as she watched two beads of rain race down when she felt a hand gliding up her thigh under the table, diverting her attention.

She looked to her right to see Eddie cheesing back at her, his hand rubbing back down towards her knee before he squeezed it and winked. He seemed to be in a better mood than he was on the journey there. He was upset.. practically dragging her at one point to keep Dave from being near her. Thankfully, he was sat at the other end of the booth, out of sight.

She was playing with Eddies fingers and hand under the table, tracing the heart line on his palm as he talked to his friends. It was crazy looking down at them because she never thought that she'd hold them again, let alone feel them on her. Him touching her was like a religious experience, even the innocent ones. His hands were one of her favorite parts because even though they were calloused and tore in some places, they were still soft.. much like he were. He had this hardened exterior, this wall.. because of the things he had been through, but underneath was a man who made mistakes.. but had so much love to give, who'd do anything for anyone... even a stranger on the street..

Piper was wrapped up in memorizing every mark and freckle and hadn't realized that Mike was talking to her until she heard her name come from across the table. "So long time, no see Piper.. When did you get here? I didn't know you were comin'." She looked up to see him smiling warmly back at her, like he were talking to an old friend and making her feel at ease. "Uhm.. well it was kinda on short notice.. I flew in early yesterday. Eddie invited me for a few days.." Mikes smile changed as he had a sudden realization, slowly nodding as he processed it. "Ohhhh... so that's why he got a different hotel..." His expression settled on a devious smirk before he continued. "Yknow I thought I heard some strange noises comin' from down that way..." Just as the words were leaving his mouth, Eddie grabbed a wad of napkins, balled them up and chucked it, hitting Mike square in the eye.

"Dude, shut up.. Or I'll go for the other one too." The guitarists hands flew to his face, holding his eye in pain as he groaned. "C'mon man, I need that for tomorrow." The entire booth laughed, causing Piper to shyly laugh as well when she felt Eddie squeezing her knee again as if to comfort her. She knew they weren't laughing at her, that the teasing was just part of the package that came with being friends with them... but that didn't stop her face from turning beet red. She rested a hand on top of his, reassuring him that she were okay when he smiled and turned his attention back to the bands changed discussion, courtesy of Jeff.

"Speakin' of tomorrow, I think it's a pretty ballsy move openin' with Even Flow, especially since this is gonna be an acoustic gig." He spoke out from somewhere down the booth. Piper tried to lean forward a bit to see him but all she could make out was the tip of his hat. Eddie seemed to agree with him, nodding his head as he scratched at his chin. "I was thinkin' though..What if we start off with somethin' a little more laidback.. kinda ease into it.." His new suggestion seemed to make the group buzz, there were a few song names thrown out followed by a series of 'no's' until Stone piped up.

"What about Oceans? I'm sure the ...subject... would like to hear it." The entire table shifted their gaze towards Piper as she was busy playing with Eddies fingers again and hadn't heard the conversation. She looked up to see everyone staring and that Eddies face had gone a pink shade when he cleared his throat. "My surfboard ain't here, man... Not that it'd be able to understand it anyway.." Stone sat back abruptly in his place across from Piper and laughed, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms.