chapter fourteen

It had been a few months now since Eddie said those four words. Piper realized just how much he actually meant them when he finally confessed all of his feelings in a long drawn out speech as he nervously paced the dock that night. She thought it was the most precious thing as he stumbled over his words, his hands gesturing everywhere as he tried to explain himself. It was a moment that would be permanently etched in her mind as she was pleasantly surprised with his outpouring, she never thought that he'd be the first to say it.

Their relationship blossomed more, if that were even possible, and although he still never officially asked her to be his girlfriend, they played their parts even without the labels. The guys were happy that Eddie finally told her, even if it didn't diminish his miraculous talent for weaseling her into every conversation nor did it stop his bet losing streak but he didn't care.

He got his girl and was no longer a chicken shit. Still an idiot perhaps, but no chicken shit.

Piper eventually took Eddies advice and moved apartments, reluctantly so because of the sentimental value, it being where she first saw him, and because of Nora. She told the older woman she'd try to visit as much as she could but Piper knew deep down that probably wouldn't be the case, simply because of the risk of running into her harasser if she did.

That was the entire reason for her move, after all.

Eddie tried his hardest for weeks to get her to move in with him and Jeff but she politely declined as she felt she would be in the way of their "guy time" and the band.

She ended up finding a nice townhouse to rent closer to Eddies and to work, something that was a must seeing as she gave her car to Pops after his accident. They visited him nearly everyday, as he ended up having more complications that kept him longer in the hospital. Piper decided to use some of the money her grandmother left to fix her car before gifting it to the older man as a going home present when he was finally released. Pops car was unfortunately totaled in the wreck, it was the last one he shared with his beloved Mary-Anne, and he was overwhelmed with emotions when they presented him with the new one.

They knew it could never replace the nostalgia of the old one, but Piper still wanted to do something for him since he had been there for her when she needed it. Not that she really needed a car anyway, she preferred 'Eddies taxi service' to take her where she wanted. The old man graciously accepted the car and was also beyond ecstatic to learn of Eddie's heartfelt speech, saying that it was long overdue before requesting a front row seat to their impending wedding..

He knew true love when he saw it, after all.

The band, now going by their new name Pearl Jam, finally managed to finish recording the album before Dave left for rehab that spring. It made Piper upset to see him go but she knew it was for the best as his drinking had gotten exponentially worse at each show they played and he knew it. At one of his last shows, he came out stumbling around the stage before throwing up all over himself and his kit, passing out right onto his snare drum.. They had to cut the set short and that was the final straw for the guys as the band was starting to get serious. They all knew it was a long time coming and reluctantly pushed Dave on out the door. Piper would never forget that day. She could feel the tension in the air as the guys calmly explained to Dave what was happening while he yelled in their faces.

Dave knew it was coming as well but that didn't make it hurt any less.

He left for rehab and they found a new drummer, a guy named Matt, who joined them on their first tour under their new name. It was a short tour, playing only five shows that dotted across the US but nevertheless, it was something the couple struggled with seeing as they had spent nearly every day together since they met. Eddie begged her to come along but she chose to stay behind and put in more hours at work now that Pops was going through rehabilitation for his legs and needed all the help he could get. She was grateful for the hours because it meant more money but also that it kept her busy as she waited for Eddie to come back home to her.