Eulogy to Immortality (Author's note)

'I am haunted by humans'

                                       -Death, The Book Thief

I was never good at Introductions in writing, I pray my resolve to write endings supersedes my ability to write a good intro.

                 At 14, I went on a path to get my high school credits two years earlier than public school curriculum demands, I'm in college now (16) finishing my last credit semester and studying what I love to contribute to the world in a meaningful way. I studied hard and completely forgot about Wattpad (sorry).

                 My grandfather who I hardly knew died two nights ago. My dad was in the hospital for six months and almost died, my brother's growing up, I've been crazy with school and social activities. I ran for representative of a national student body (made it past primaries),Right now I am team captain for a big biology project my group is doing. I've discovered my passion, ambitions, dreams, and have started working to pursue them.

                I've had so much time for self reflection, but I fear I can't go back to who I was before. The story I was working on here, another girl's story. Was the work of a child. A little girl who dreamed of writing, nature, art, and never had the immense weight of pain on her shoulders. The little girl who wrote the story is grown up now, which is the root of my personal conflict.

               I could continue the story, with its many faults. Poor plot, rushed romantic aspirations. With a completely different writing style and perspective.

              Or I could leave it for some younger, more optimistic person to finish for me. I acknowledge many of you have already forgotten the story, and my story might not be as important to others as I'd like to think.

             But I'm just indulging my nostalgia. The choice is yours.

              If you care enough about the past to let it linger, I can't finish the story I told so long ago, but I can let someone else start over.

             It seems unfair when the end of the story, discarded all those years ago, was left to the imagination of the viewers. Maybe Rascal and Chloe grew up and changed too. Maybe they realized how rushed their relationship was, and moved on. Maybe the story ends in tragedy, maybe one of them dies and the other is left heartbroken.

             All I can say is, I've learned sometimes stories can end abruptly, like morning dew, or the flap of a butterfly's wings, or the blink of an eye. One second there, the next, gone.

             As someone who has wept over what has been lost, let me tell you; It's foolish to assume things can last forever. And we act like they will all the time. We laugh, we cry, we carry on with our lives as if we were immortals and time wasn't a precious wisp of dying breath in the frosty air.

            One day, everything we know and love will be completely, utterly crushed. Gone with the wind. This doesn't bother me anymore thankfully, I've grown past my fear of oblivion because I
have the security of Christ to hold me fast. Nothing can touch me anymore.

            I realize now how out of place the monologue looks in a sappy romance fanfiction about glittery princesses, lovestruck jesters, and wolves with shredded abs.

            But maybe by finishing my story, I can laugh at the inevitability of demise. Who knows.

            I truly am thankful for all of my devoted fans and everyone who read my heinous creation. I don't deserve you all.

             Now if you'll excuse me, I have a grand finale to write ;)

Blessings and apologies,

-Michelle M. (Nya)~<3