Goodbye

"Jonah! Are you going to let me in before that faggot comes back?"

"Oh shit, you better go hide, right now"

"Alright, alright. I'll go and hide. You try and get him out"

"I'll try my best"

I tried my best to fit inside the closet. What irony, I came out of the closet not too long ago and now I am physically going back in. To my luck, I was small enough to fit inside. My height was an average 5'5, okay maybe not average now that I think about it. Jonah, however, is a whopping 6'1 which is about 1 head taller than me, which was perfect. I loved tall guys and I still do, but back to the situation at hand. Jonah tried to act natural and walked towards the front door.

"Hey, Jax. What's up?"

"You... told me to come here...? You told me that you needed help with something?"

"Oh, right. Well... I kinda sorted it out already so, it's alright. You can go home now" Jonah explained as he gave a very nervous smile. Luckily Jax didn't seem to notice it, which was surprising because it was super obvious, every time he acts nervous, he gives this smile that I can never believe. Well, you know what they say, homophobic people tend to have low IQ, or that's what I saw on the internet. I don't know if it is really true but clearly, it's true for Jax.

"Alright then. Cool. I'll head back home. See you around!"

Hearing that phrase, I felt so relieved. I tried squeezing myself out but accidentally knocked into a box and it fell, creating a huge thud.

"Wait, what was that? Is there someone else inside?"

"What? No? It's just me."

"Are you sure, Jonah? I did hear something coming from that room," Jax pointed to our room which had the closet that I was in.

He walked into the house and headed for our room. Jonah was silently panicking on the inside, not knowing what to do, he just stood there and prayed that I wouldn't be found. Jax entered the room to see boxes on the floor. Curious, he slowly approached the closet and opened it. He poked around inside only to find it empty.

"That was creepy, no one inside. Well, I guess I better get going before I get possessed or something haha! See ya!"

Jax quickly exited the house leaving Jonah in the room. He heaved a sign of relief knowing that I was safe. Now, he was curious. Where did I go if I wasn't in the closet? I heard the door close and finally came out. I was actually just under the bed. Yes, I was that small.

"Liam! Thank god you are safe. Where were you hiding?"

"Under the bed. It was surprisingly hidden from Jax which I ever expected it to be. I thought it would be the first place he checked."

"Well, he ain't that smart anyways. I'm just glad you're okay"

"Ye I'm fine. I'm just a bit scared that's all"

" It's alright, I'm here"

"Thanks, Jonah"

The next day, I was out shopping for some books to read. I was getting bored at home and I needed something to keep my mind off things. I went tot the bookstore near my apartment which was quite popular in this side of town.

I began browsing through the books to find the right one for me. It was quite difficult considering that there were many books to choose from. However,  I wasn't expecting what I was about to find.

"Yo faggot"

"Oh fuck. It's Jax" I thought to myself. My heart just began pounding, it was the most nervous I ever felt.

"Stop trying to get to Jonah. He will never turn gay for you. You are just a desperate slut who deserves nothing in life, except this"

His fist flew through the air and impacted my face. I feel straight to the ground, my nose beginning to bleed. The store went silent, people crowing around to see what was happening.

I stood up, trying to gain back my balance. My hand balling into a fist, and out of anger, I used all my strength and punched his face. He didn't fall like I did but he did get annoyed.

Before he could get his revenge, the store owner yelled at him to stop.

"You're gonna regret that Astrafield,  you'll see. You will never mess with me again" he whispered to me in a very aggressive tone.

Once he left, I felt a sense of relief washing over me. The bystanders left, except for one.

"Liam, oh my gosh, what the fuck happened? Your nose! It's bleeding!"

"It's nothing. Just a small conflict that's all"

"SMALL?!?! HE PUNCHED YOU REAL HARD"

"Okok fine, but it's over now. Hopefully it will stay that way"

"Let's get you an ice pack or something"

Jeremy supported me out of the store to the supermarket to get ice.

After getting some ice, we had to cross the road. There wasn't a traffic junction nearby so we had to jaywalk across. There was a crowd waiting to jaywalk so we joined them. We stood at the edge of the road while waiting for the last car to pass by.

Then, I heard someone approaching us and then I felt myself being pushed. I fell right into the road, the car approaching me.

"LIAM!"

Jeremy rushes to get me and managed to push me away from the car in time, but it was too late to save himself. The car couldn't stop in time and it made an impact. Jeremy went flying and fell really hard.

"JEREMY!"

I ran towards him, my eyes welling up with tears. I tried waking him up but he wasn't responding. Another bystander was calling for an ambulance, while I stayed with Jeremy, holding his hand. His eyes were shut, his face was full of blood, his body felt cold.

"You're gonna be alright, Jeremy. Just hang in there. The ambulance is arriving soon."

We heard the siren and finally,  the ambulance arrived. The paramedics took out the stretcher, carried Jeremy onto it and rushed back. The ambulance rushed to the hospital while the paramedics connected him to a heart monitor.

"You're gonna make it, Jeremy. You're gonna make it."

The beeping of the heart monitor was still loud and fast. I still had hope. Then, the line went flat with a high pitched sound filling the ambulance. With that sound, my
heart sank and tears gushed out of my eyes.

"Jeremy, please don't leave me, not now! I still need you! Please, please, please..."

The paramedics tried to used the defibrillation

"Clear!"

They shocked him but nothing happened.

"Clear!"

Again, nothing happened. By the third one, I knew that he was gone and couldn't be brought back. I held his hand one last time. My closest friend for 11 years, killed, and it was all my fault. He saved me, but I couldn't save him. I was too weak. Now he's gone, never returning.

You'll always be my best friend, Jeremy. No one can replace you. You've helped me so much when I was down. You never left me alone. You were always there for me. I'm sorry I couldn't return the favour,  I'm sorry I couldn't save you. You were the best, and nothing will change that. Thank you.

Goodbye, Jeremy. See you on the other side.