Prologue

I sat watching several of my half siblings messing around. I'm the youngest of my father. He's the lead stallion of our family. My body became shadowed over. I looked down knowing who it was by the shadow. He crouched down closer to my sitting level.

"Want to go play with them?" He asked. I shook my head. "Too rough?" He asked. I nodded. He sat down completely and pulled me onto his lap. "They won't be too rough if you did." He said. I shook my head again and buried my head into his lower chest.

He stood up with me in his arms and lifted me higher. "Maybe you can help me today." He said starting to walk. We went directly to the place with his office. He set me at my own desk before going to his own. "Now would be a good time to do whatever homework you need to get done." He said.

I started with my writing when I was almost done, my oldest brother came in. He sat down in front of dad and they began talking. When I started on my math, I got maybe one problem done before I got frustrated. My brother was just about to walk out when he sat down in front of me and asked if I needed some help.

I know he's doing more for dad and slowly taking dad's position. Dad is letting him though. Ever since I was born he has been so dad can spend more time around the office and with me. I nodded to him before he looked at the paper and walked me through it. After a few problems I understood it better.

I'll be six next week. He is exactly twenty years older than me. He's got his group of helpers already and a few girls of his own. Most of them already are having babies. When I was done, I put my work in my backpack before setting it on top of the desk. "Done?" Dad asked. "Yeah." I answered.

"I think your mom needs some help. If not, Xavier is around here somewhere." He said. He understood the bond between my oldest brother and I. Xavier didn't mind me hanging around him either. I exited my father's office and went to see if my mom needed help in the garden.

She's not lead mare, she is one of the newer girls. Older than Xavier by twenty years though. I'm her first baby though. I unlatched the gate and walked in latching the gate back. Several of the other women were picking and walking around the garden. I found my mom in the farthest corner picking peas.

She let me help her pick peas until the sun was starting to set. Hooves thundering was normal but not this loud. My mom pick me up and looked around. She picked up the large basket of peas and started moving towards the gate. She had to set me down for a moment to open the gate. A horse came up and shifted to reveal one of Xavier's guys.

He quickly picked me up and carried me for my mom. "What's going on?" Mom asked. "Don't worry about it. It's being handled." He said. Once at my mom's house he set me down before mom ushered me inside. She closed and locked the door. "Glad we were just in the garden." She said.

We probably would have been safe hiding in the garden if we didn't move.