Chapter 37

Aspen's POV

A knock sounded on the door and I tilted my head. Linda patted my hand gently and walked to the door. She opened it and a young man with shaggy brown hair and a bouquet of flowers walked in. He glanced at me and blushed. I looked curiously at him then pulled a blanket over myself. Linda cleared her throat. "He said he knows you or Logan at least." I smiled at him shyly. "Hello." He smiled at me and I stared at his pale green eyes. "Hi..I know this may seem really weird. Logan told me about you months ago..I'm his best friend." I smiled broadly. "Oh? I'm sorry..everything is a blur right now..your name is?" He smiled shyly and stepped forward. "Jason. Jason Willis."  I froze, trying to remember if Logan had ever mentioned him. I gasped and glanced down at Lindsay, "Logan did tell me once about his best friend..but  I thought you guys had a falling out over the gang." Jason frowned and stopped right in front of me. "No..but  I do need to talk to you." His eyes fell on Linda and Crystal. "Alone." I glanced at Linda who searched my eyes. I nodded slowly and she took Crystal's hand. "Come on honey..Aspen is busy. We'll see her and Lindsay soon." Crystal's eyes welled with tears and I squatted in front of her. Pushing Lindsay's blanket away from her face, Crystal laid a finger on her cheek. "Hey...You can come back as soon as your mom lets you. I promise Lindsay and I will be here." Crystal looked at me and wiped away her tears. "Really?"

"Really." She smiled and Linda tugged on her hand gently. I watched them leave and turned to Jason, jiggling Lindsay. He smiled and handed the flowers to me. I opened my mouth then shut it. He blushed and chuckled, "Oh right..of course." I laughed and gently laid Lindsay in her cradle. I took his flowers and smiled, "So..what did you have to tell me?" He sighed, "Logan made me promise to take care of you if anything happened to him. Noah..he's still out there and wants you dead. You are the one who can tell the police about everything that happened. You need to leave America. He will not hesitate to kill you and Lindsay." I wobbled and sank on the bed, "I-I-Kill?" Jason worriedly patted my back, "I'm so sorry I had to tell you this. Logan told me to tell you because I live in Treviso, Veneto in Italy..Noah had no idea after I left the gang..that's probably why Logan didn't talk about me..because I'm supposed to be dead." I gasped and held onto my chest. "Dead? Italy?" I squeaked and looked at a snoozing Lindsay. Jason sighed and I looked at him, fear squeezing my heart. "If..if I go with you..will...will you make sure Lindsay will be ok?" Jason nodded and looked at the door, "With everything in my being, I will make sure that both of you are alright." I nodded gratefully and clasped my hands. "So..when do you want to leave?" Jason steepled his fingers and sighed, "My name is changed now so I'll need you to call me Lucas. And I had passports drawn up for you and Lindsay..I did have to change your names though." He handed the passports and our fingers touched. Blushing madly, I opened them and looked at him, "How did you get pictures of us? I don't even know you." He pursed his lips, "I know you don't but I promise I'm here to help." I nodded. "Right. I'm sorry." I looked down at my passport and smiled wryly, "Natalia Russo?" Jason smiled and shrugged, "I thought it suited you..you'll have to dye your hair. Change everything. You need to be a different you until Noah stops searching for you both." I picked up Lindsay's passport and grinned, "Aurora Elena." Tears filled my eyes as I thought of Logan and I naming her. "I..I love it. Thank you." Jason squeezed my hand and I stared into his eyes, "When do we leave?" We both turned as Connor opened the door. Jason stood and I let go of his hand, "Two days. Tell no one." He walked towards the door and nodded at Connor. I bit my lip and rolled my hand in my lap. Connor looked at him quizzically and turned to me. I hurried over to Lindsay's cradle avoiding his eyes, "What are you doing here?" Connor's brow wrinkled and I groaned inwardly. "I just left to get some sleep then I came back..who was that?" My spine stiffened at his condescending tone. "None of your business." I snapped and turned to him. He narrowed his eyes and grabbed my arm. I  tried to yank it out of his reach, "Stop!"
"Why? Running into another man's arms after refusing to be in mine?" He growled and I gasped and stomped my foot. "Why would you care? I am not your girlfriend, I am nothing to you! So I can see whoever I so please. Now let me go." I snarled and yanked my arm from his grasp. I stomped to Lindsay's cradle and lifted her up. Whirling back to him, I watched him run a hand over his face. "I'm leaving." Connor's hand dropped and his head snapped. "The hospital? When?" I gulped and shook my head, dropping my gaze to Lindsay's chubby chin. I smiled at her and sighed, "Two days." Connor smiled, "That's great! That's good news..right?" I looked at him and nodded, "Very good..so very good." I glanced down at Lindsay again and murmured. Shaking off my sudden feelings of sadness and looked at Connor. "Wanna take her? I need to go to the bathroom." Connor nodded and took her, cooing softly at her. I closed the door and slipped down the hall, looking around furtively. Jason's words rang through my head, Noah would not hesitate to kill you and Lindsay. A door slammed and I screamed. Clamping a hand over my mouth, I ran back to my room and slammed the door shut. Connor whirled around and Lindsay started to sob. I hurried over and took her from Connor, cuddling her in the crook of my neck. Connor peered at me, concerned. "Are you ok?" I nodded, breathing in Lindsay's scent. "Yes..I'm fine."

^^^

Wow..so big twist! Told you some drama was coming up! Three more chapters until A Heart of Gold is finished!! I hope y'all have enjoyed it so far! Keep reading, commenting and voting! All positive feedback is appreciated!

xoxo writing_princess16