𝐹𝑖𝑣𝑒

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑖𝑣𝑒: 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑎𝑑𝑣𝑖𝑐𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑆𝑎𝑏𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑎

Sabrina hadn't seen John at all for the rest of the night of her welcome back. Her time was spent laughing with her sisters as the rest of the family drank and slurred. A surreal feeling shook through her as she gazed across the room, it was odd to watch a scene so foreign yet so familiar.

The parties used to last all night. They weren't parties in terms of the night clubs that were beginning to appear in the streets of London but the meaningful parties shared between kin. They celebrated anything and everything. Birthdays, Weddings and childbirths. There was never an event too little for the famous Shelby-Lewis parties.

And, of course, the Garrison was the only place worthy of being host to these parties. It was the typical Birmingham pub, a bit dirty and always filled with the local drunks, but it was charming and they wouldn't have wished it to be any different.

The day after Sabrina's welcome back party, the Garrison was a mess. It hadn't been cleaned the evening before as they hadn't left until early in the morning and Sabrina didn't blame Harry for being tired.

They both began replacing the stacked chairs and wiping benches as soon as she had wrapped the apron cover over her skirt and grabbed the rags. It hadn't taken long for the usual customers to pile loudly through the doors, early in the morning.

"Alright Henry?" Sabrina called, glancing up as the man walked through the front door and toward the bar where she was leaned, wiping down a spilled drink.

He smiled, flashing his dazzling teeth while removing his cap and ruffling his short, curly hair. "Morning Sabrina."

He placed himself next to the bar, rubbing his chin and tired eyes. "Whiskey as always."

"This early in the day?" She asked, raising her eyebrows in surprise. Henry was never a one to drink in the morning.

"Do you see the time stopping any of the other men in here?" He proved his point. Half of the men that filled the pub were already hanging on their chairs.

"Irish." He added, as she moved to pick up a glass, rolling her eyes at his dramatics.

"None of the men in here are as bit respectable as you are." Sabrina said, placing the glass of whiskey in front of him.

"How's your head?" She asked, chuckling as he chucked back the drink, disregarding her compliment.
She added, "You drank a bit much last night."

He groaned. "I trust you had fun then?"

"Of course, of course." She said, her cheeks ringing pink at the thought of the previous night and her talks with John. She shook her head, coughing away her embarrassment. "Though not as much fun as you."

"Yes, seems we left a bit of a mess." He said, chuckling as he noted the pile of glasses and chairs that had been shoved to the corner of the pub.

"You should have seen yourself with Betty. Couldn't keep your eyes off her." She teased, wiggling her brows suggestively. Even the gesture was an influence from Betty.

"What?" Just the mention of her sister seemed to wake him up as his arm slipped from under his chin, throwing his head to the side before he straightened.

"What I said." Sabrina said bluntly, turning around with a cheeky smile and drifting towards the opposite side of the bar. Henry quickly stood up from his seek, scaling the bar side eagerly, following as she moved.

"You're so obvious." Sabrina said, laughing as she turned to see him looking down at her with impatient eyes that quickly turned to a confused expression.

"I ensure you that Betty is no more than a close friend." He said, sitting down on the stool that she now stood in front of, his cheeks now a light pink. "Besides, I'm too old for her."

Sabrina gasped, turning to face him quickly, her lips pulled into a wide smile. "That shows you've thought of it."

"Just as much as Betty has of you." Henry shot up out of his stool and leaned against the bar table restlessly.

"She mentions me?" He shouted, causing another laugh from Sabrina.

"She doesn't need to." She said, patting him on the shoulder, embarrassed for him. "She fancies you. Clear as day."

"Yeah?"

"Yes." She stated, because it was obviously true- even though Betty had never mentioned it to him.

"Should I speak to her?" He asked, rubbing his jaw again, unsure.

"Why are you even asking me this?" She said loudly, getting overexcited. Upon seeing Henry's confused expression, she explained further.
"Of course you should speak to her. Ask her out for a drink as well, while you're at it!"

Henry shot to his feet, grabbed his hat and whipped it on his head. He gave Sabrina a quick peck on the cheek as a thanks and skipped his steps to the door, waving to her one last time before crashing into someone in the porch.

"You're off Henry?" The man asked, brushing himself off aster the rushed bump.

"Ah, John, Yes." He said upon realising it was him. He continued out the door as he shouted back. "I'm sure Sabrina will give you company."

Sabrina spluttered at the mention of her name, clutching at the glass that almost slipped in her hand and placing it on the bar. She turned away from the doorway, but John had recognised her rosey cheeks and feminine dresses, and was already sitting down on the stool.

He watched as she carefully stacked the glasses and chuckled as she managed to make them fall every time they reached the top. John made Sabrina nervous- and much to her distress- he knew it.

"Sabrina." He called her name for attention and she reluctantly turned to face him, allowing her flitting eyes to settle on his happy, crinkled face.

"Morning, John." She said, her voice becoming quiet again. It felt as if a cat had clawed its way up her throat as she forced the words out and she cursed herself for her awkwardness.

"Look, Sabrina. I've got a question." He paused, allowing for a response to which she gave a timid nod.
"How bout you come out with me, tomorrow night."

She covered a splitter with a loud cough, her eyes widening. She forced out an eager "Yes".

"Great. Pick you up eight, yeah?"

She nodded, watching as he picked himself and walked out as quickly as he came, leaving her speechless and overcome with joy.

❤︎