𝐹𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛: 𝑊ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑏𝑜𝑡ℎ 𝑏𝑜𝑦𝑠 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 ℎ𝑒𝑟

There was only one Shelby brother that could possibly say that they had only loved once. Everyone knew it was Tommy Shelby. Arthur was notorious on the streets for liking the women, but no one could match John Shelby's passion for love. It was surprising, given that he was head to one of the country's most violent gangs, but John Shelby didn't care. Even the youngest Shelby boy claimed to live a new girl from his class each week.

But Tommy Shelby was an icy shell that hadn't been cracked, not even by his first girlfriend, though she had warmed him little by little. To all, it seemed that the many nights of war that were spent under the frost bitten ground had given him enough cold bitterness to keep him that way for the rest of his life.

But John was an exception to this thought, as he chose to reveal, as they drank together in the Garrison, Arthur and Polly wedged in the middle.

"You love her." John blurted our, his eyes squinted and hand pointed out.

"What do you mean?" Tommy asked, though it was obvious that he knew exactly what John meant. It didn't help that Sabrina was on his mind anyway.

"You fucking love her." John yelled.

"Where the fuck is this coming from, John?" Tommy asked, his eyes remaining emotionless as he leaned his head back, watching his brother's face flush red.

"Just tell me the fucking truth, alright." John shouted. "You love her."

Tommy shook his head, as he but his lip. He smiled bitterly. Arthur spat out a chuckle as he watched his brothers' increasing anger that was strung between them.

"Don't fucking shout at me John. Not when you're the one playing the silly fucking games!" Tommy finally said, placing his glass down on the table with a clatter.

"Yeah, fuck off Tom. You don't know how I feel." John said, pointing his fingers again, the words being spat out like venom.

"Come on lads, what's this about?" Arthur tried to but in, waving his hands in front of the two.

"You still don't deny it." John shouted, ignoring his oldest brother, as he stood up, towering over Tommy's sitting figure.

"Oh I do know, brother. We all fucking do. You did the exact same with Lizzy Stark, for God's sake." Tommy shouted, earning an escaping chuckle from Arthur, who knew exactly what he referenced.

"Fuck off, Tommy. At least I put myself fucking out there." John shouted, shaking his head.

"Going after every woman that puts the slightest bit of interest forward is not putting yourself out there." Polly interrupted. "Men and their cocks, never cease to amaze me."

"You love her." John went back to repeating himself, disregarding the bold comment from his aunt. "I was going to ask for your blessing, but seems I'll never get it now, eh?"

"Fucking hell John, I know she likes but you've only went out with her once." Polly laughed, casting a glance to the youngest.

"The kids need someone." John muttered, sounding defeated. "I'm getting a drink then going."

Without anything more said, John left the room, the private door shutting behind him. Polly cast her eyes to Arthur, who sat bemused in the corner. She nudged her head to the door and he followed after John.

She waited a few moment before saying, "Is it true?"

Tommy didn't answer.

"Because if it is, Thomas, you have to do something. It's not fair on anyone."

He sucked in a breath, turning to lean his arms against the short shelf under the window, his head bowed down.

"I don't know what to do, Pol."

"You told me about the Gypsy girl. What are the reasons behind it?" Polly asked carefully, her eyes blinking as she thought.

He didn't answer again, so Polly asked, "Are the reasons selfish."

Tommy sighed and nodded. Polly smile, her eyebrows raising.

"What do I do?"

"He'll get over it." Polly said with a smile. "Being honest, I think he'll like it, from the sounds of it."

"I hope so."

❤︎