𝑁𝑖𝑛𝑒

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑁𝑖𝑛𝑒: 𝑇ℎ𝑜𝑤𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐵𝑢𝑐𝑘𝑒𝑡

"You're going to strip the bloody wood up if you brush any harder."

Sabrina huffed our as she glared down at the same spot that she had been scrubbing for the passed five minutes. She had come into the garrison early that morning and the bar had already been clean twice over.

"Sorry." She said, before sighing as she stood, dumping the cloth back into the bucket.

"You've been distracted." Harry stated. "What's happened?"

Sabrina shook her head. Anger was a foreign concept- never had she felt so much resentment for one single person. 'A waste of time", the thought made her laugh.

"Alright then." Harry said in defeat. "Get on with it then."

Sabrina sighed and walked towards Grace, who was stacking the glasses beneath the bar. The barmaid smiled as she stopped beside her.

"Why is it that my emotions are always so obvious?" Sabrina joked as she lifted the leftover spit buckets from beneath the bar and placed them in a line, before pouring it into one.

"Because you wear them proudly." Grace replied, with a smile and a raised look.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

She paused, before laughing, shaking her head. "I don't even know, I heard it once, from my father."

She changed the conversation quickly. "I was wondering, you're close with the Shelby brothers."

"I suppose you could say that." Sabrina said.

"Could you persuade them to let us sing? On a Saturday night." Grace asked.

Sabrina lifted the last bucket from the bar. "I can try, but no promises." She said as she turned, walking toward the side door of the pub.

The door was already open as she walked up to it, preparing to throw the liquid to the street. The echoes of hooves rung through the street, drawing attention to Tommy who walked along the sidewalk of the Garrison, a white horse lead behind him. She paused a minute before throwing the contents of the bucket onto the street.

"Sabrina." Tommy sighed, looking down at the slop that settled into the thick mud.

She paused for a moment, considering wether or not to speak. She couldn't help herself. "You could have made it obvious that you didn't like me."

"Now who's ever said that, eh?" He asked, looking down at her, his chin jutted out, annoyed.

Sabrina could feel Grace moving to stand behind her. She glanced back at the blonde and nodded, watching until she made her way back to the bar.

"Never mind that." She said, coughing awkwardly. "I have something to ask you."

"Go on then."

"I want there to be singing. Every Saturday night. It'll be good for them." She said, her eyes flirting across his face, searching for a reaction.

"Can't remember you ever being a one for singing." He replied, as stoic as ever.

"Never said it was me that wanted it." She replied smartly, with a small smile.

He nodded, dismissively. "How'd you fancy earning a bit extra money?"

"I'm not a whore, Tommy." She said, biting her lip in annoyance. He had to keep on pushing.

"Never said you were." He breathed, eyebrow raised. "How about it then?"

"What for?" She asked.

"To buy a pretty dress." He said, before continuing after seeing her unimpressed expression. "You're going to the races."

"John sends his invitation." He added quickly, breaking his unbothered manner.

"And what if I refused the offer."

"Well I can tell John that." He began, a small smirk on his lips as he coughed through a chuckle.

"No." She said, too sharp. She let out a breath. "I'll go."

He nodded, his cap tipping before carrying on across the street, his white horse in tow.

❤︎