𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑇ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑇ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒: 𝑇𝑜𝑜 𝑀𝑢𝑐ℎ 𝑉𝑖𝑜𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒 𝑝𝑡1

The following day, as if by instinct, the sun had found its way from behind the thick clouds and heavy smoke to shine down lightly upon Birmingham for the first time in a long while. The rain had cleared quite promptly, leaving behind a damp scent in the mild air and shallow puddles on the mucky ground. Sabrina treaded lightly around the dirt and water, stepping lightly as she walked next to her brothers on their way to the betting den. It was second nature, growing up in Birmingham. The mud was a permanent feature that had to be avoided for a woman like Sabrina.

The four of them were oddly silent as they walked the short path down Watery Lane. Meetings like the one that they would be attending were usually kept to the family, but they had definitely been invited. Betty had remained in the Garrison, lived up with Henry, and Mary and Jane were left home, uninterested by any of it. Both Peter and George were quietly ecstatic, their excitement bubbling inside of their small bodies at the mere fact that they were finally being included, on purpose.

Sabrina, herself, had a feeling that it was all down to the previous day with Tommy. Everything had been pushed out into the open for both of them. She paraded about lighter than even in her steps, feeling as if the heavy weight of emotions that she could never discern, picking apart little by little, had finally been slid from her back. She knew how she felt.

As the siblings stepped into the betting den, Sabrina's eyes landed on her father, who stood in the middle, laughing along with Arthur Shelby and his cousin. She was surprised to see him there, and with out Mrs Potts too, as they had spent so much time together, that the children had barely seen them. They didn't mind though, that was how most of the youth of Small Heath grew up, with John's kids as a prime example. They were also happy for him- Jenny loved their father, and they had a feeling that he loved her too.

As Fred Lewis turned to move next to them, his children smirked at him knowingly. His eyebrows shot up, staring in disbelief at their devilish glances. Sabrina took him by the arm, guiding him away and letting the others divide into their own pathways, watching as Finn ran up to tug on Peter's arm.

"What was that about?" Her father asked, patting the hand that rested on his arm comfortingly.

"Don't pretend you don't know." Sabrina sang. She laughed at the blank expression on his face. "You and Mrs Potts!"

Fred laughed, rolling this eyes slightly as he moved them toward the front of the room, standing off to the side as a speech was about to begin.

Sabrina looked to Tommy as he stood by the chalkboard, a piece of paper held firmly in his hands. He glanced over smoothly, smiling softly as he felt her gaze resting upon his face. She was glad that her father didn't ask, she could feel that he wanted to by the inside look that he was sending between her and the Shelby boy.

"Right. I've got you all here today, because this is the day that we replace Billy Kimber. This is the day we become respectable. The day we join the official National Association of Race Course Bookmakers." Tommy began, a proud smile on his face.

Sabrina looked around the room to the different faces that were spread out across the betting den. Polly was closest, standing in the middle against a desk. She was beaming widely up at him, the love she held for her nephew evident on her glowing face. Her fingers were entertained in front of her, clasped together, as she waited for him to continue.