𝑆𝑖𝑥𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑖𝑥𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛: 𝑃𝑜𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝐹𝑖𝑔𝑢𝑟𝑒𝑠 𝑖𝑡 𝑜𝑢𝑡

Thanks to the wise but simple words of Polly Gray, Tommy Shelby knew what he would do. It was making himself do it, which was the hard part. Everything had already been prepared days earlier but with the new complications of feeling, that he never could have predicted, Tommy felt himself second-guessing his decisions.

Deep down, both Tommy and his brother knew that John didn't love Sabrina. He himself knew that he couldn't give her what she wanted- couldn't be loyal. But that didn't ever stop him from wanting a woman.

But what about Sabrina herself? Was her love for John real. Tommy doubted it. But he had always been the cynical one. His plan was ready. Whether that plan went through or not, was balanced on one thing: Sabrina's feelings for John. And Tommy knew exactly how to find them out.

"Hello Pol."

Sabrina stood behind the bar cleaning the left over glasses that had been stacked up high from the previous night. A Sunday afternoon was always quiet in the Garrison, not because of church as usually expected, but because of the hangovers that were almost always guaranteed.

"Sabrina." Polly greeted the young girl back, as she sat down in front of the bar, removing her coat and scarf and laying it on the stool to her side.

"I need to talk to you." She said with a smile, that was closer to a smirk.Upon noticing the look on Sabrina's face, she insisted, "Don't look so scared, it's all good things."

"So what's happening with you and John?" Polly finally asked as a glass was placed in front of her.

"What'd you mean?" Sabrina blushed and rolled her eyes as Polly looked at her with a knowing gaze and raised brows. "I haven't spoken to him in a while."

"Have you tried to?" The older woman asked, and Sabrina's face flushed an even deeper red.

"No- but I'm scared it'll be awkward. It always is." She replied and Aunt Pol chuckled.

"So what happened at Cheltenham?"

"Nothing happened at-" Sabrina tried to say, but Polly interrupted her with an annoyed but joking tone.

"Don't give me any of that shit, something happened. Something happened at this pub last night with you and I'll be hearing about that too." She said, as she lit a cigarette, looking at her with a low gaze, expectantly. "So come on."

"I ended up leaving with Kimber. He tried to force himself on me." Sabrina said, turning away from Polly, her face frowning at the thought of it. "He didn't manage to."

"Tommy wouldn't have let him." Polly insisted and Sabrina eventually nodded in agreement.

"No, he wouldn't have. And I know that now." She said, with a smile, giving up on cleaning and placing the last of the cups and rags in the corner of the bar before turning back to Pol. She added, "He came running in with a face like a ghost. I'd rather he not need to though. A woman shouldn't need a man to look after her."

"Too right. If only it was like that, sweetheart." Polly said, leaning back with a puff. "But it's not. And it doesn't matter how capable you are, Sabrina, take advantage of what you can. Because no one will give it back if they take it."

"Until we can change things, we work with what we've got." Polly explained pointedly, aiming her finger at her to get the meaning across. She asked, "Right?"