𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑂𝑛𝑒

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑂𝑛𝑒: 𝐼𝑡'𝑠 𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐹𝑎𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑦

After the day at the races, Sabrina had been left confused and conflicted. She was angry. Why wouldn't she be? But she felt more upset, especially after Tommy's words in the car.

She wanted to understand what her was saying; she wanted to understand his reasoning. But she couldn't- not yet. And until she did, perhaps space was the best course. Sabrina was good at avoiding the Shelby family. She had gone four days without seeing them. Sabrina wondered whether Tommy had been avoiding her too.

It had all being going well. Until her first shift back behind the bar after a few days. There was no avoiding the family there. Not when alcohol was like a religion and the Garrison their church.

She first saw John. He was smiling as usual, a cut still on his face from the races. He had tried to talk to her and shouted her name as she left for the back room, but Sabrina persisted- no matter how much it hurt.

The Shelby family had gathered in the private room by 2 o'clock. She could hear them laughing, it was clearly something funny, as she could hear Tommy laughing only seconds after he had walked in. He had glanced at her briefly, upon pushing the front doors of the pub open. She looked away.

"A bottle of whiskey." Sabrina turned to see the small window of the snug open. Tommy stood, a chuckle still on his lips as he glanced back to his brothers. It was obvious that he hadn't realised that it was her.

The laugh fell from his lips as he looked back toward the bar, spotting Sabrina her brows raised. He opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the clang of a bottle as it was blacked harshly onto the thin bench.

Without much thought, she pulled the two doors of the window closed, leaving a baffled Tommy on the opposite side of them. Another round of laughter erupted from the private room, with Polly and Arthur cackling at the suddenness.

Polly emerged from the snug, pulling her coat onto her shoulders, the door still open behind her. Sabrina sighed as she heard John's rough voice. "What's up with her, she's been ignoring me all morning?"

As no one answered, he voiced another question. "Did I say something? At the races?"

"No, brother, nothing to do with you." Tommy said with a sigh. That was all she heard, as the door was closed and Polly moved to sit at the bar.

"How's everything with John?" She asked.

"Ive barely spoken to him." Sabrina said. "Didn't even get a dance at Cheltenham."

"I heard what happened." Polly said, lighting her cigarette. Sabrina didn't say anything, as she could imagine that the older woman would stick up to Tommy.

"I don't blame you." She said, surprising Sabrina. "For ignoring him."

"He needs to know that he did wrong, for once." She said with a smirk. "But he does what he does for a reason. And in this world, I think he's brave for doing that."

Sabrina nodded. "He opened up to me, you know."

Polly looked surprised, her brow slanted and smirk still on her lips. "He did?"

"He said he wanted a reason- to be good."

Polly nodded, and stood from her seat at the bar. She stumped her cigarette into the ashtray and left, her words seemingly still on her mind.

Sabrina was left baffled. Polly had left without saying anything more of the matter. Her own words had also left Sabrina more confused than ever. She wanted to speak to Tommy- and John, obviously- but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

But was Polly right? She always seemed to be. Deep down Sabrina knew that Tommy had barged into Kimber's home and would have helped her, though later than she had helped herself. And as much as she didn't want to be saved, Sabrina knew that he would have- no matter how or why she was there in the first place.

❤︎