𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑂𝑛𝑒

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑂𝑛𝑒: 𝐴 𝑆ℎ𝑒𝑙𝑏𝑦 𝐵𝑜𝑦'𝑠 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑟𝑚

Sabrina hated that she had been ensnared by Tommy Shelby's charm.

He may have been rough around the edges, but she loved every bit of him. It had always been him- ever since he had helped her at their coming home party. She was a fool to have realised it only now, when she had spent a night with him. Sabrina has been blinded by the idea of John Shelby. Many women in Small Heath had been too, with his cheeky smile and smooth voice. But in the end, it was all just false infatuation, with a boy who could never love her back

"You're staring." Tommy broke her from her thoughts.

He had made his way behind the bar where she was working a shift in the Garrison, and had taken the pint that she was pouring from out of her hands just as it was about to overflow. Sabrina hadn't seen him since the night she had left him.

"Sorry."

"Something on your mind?"

There was something on her mind. She wondered if Tommy had ever been left by a woman in his bed, rather than him being the one leaving. She questioned whether he was offended by it, but she thought he'd not be bothered by it. Maybe he thought it was the normal.

"No. Nothing at all." She shook her head with a small smile.

"Come out back." Tommy could tell her thoughts were occupied. He paused for a moment before nudging his head backward and saying, "I need to ask you something."

Sabrina nodded, moving to follow him toward the store room, but they didn't even make it half way toward the door before they were interrupted by Finn's shouts exploding through the pub.

"Tommy, the coppers!" He screeched, jumping onto a barstool and leaning over the counter. "They're in the lane!"

Sabrina glanced to Tommy, watching as he sighed, clenching his jaw in anger. Reaching a hand toward his shoulder, she soothes him back. She made him face her so she could speak.

"Come with me." She whispered.

"Where to?"

"My house." She said and he shook his head abruptly.

"They could look for me there." He said.

"They've already searched watery lane." She said, already pulling him toward the back door of the pub, anticipating the police to run in at any minute. "Besides, It's better than the bloody Garrison. Harry will tell them you went with Grace."

Somehow, Sabrina had managed to drag him out into the back lane, watching as the coppers filled in through the front entrance from outside. They hurried hand in hand toward her house, piling in messily. The house was empty and she found herself pulling him into her room so she could peek out at the front road from behind lacy curtains.

"I can't see anyone."

Sabrina almost jumped. He was leaning behind her, head hovering over her shoulder as he looked out of the window. Tommy's breath wasn't wavering against her cheek as he spoke, sending shivers across her skin.

"Me neither."

"You were avoiding me." He whispered lowly and Sabrina gasped as she felt is hands move down to hold her waist.

"I-"

"Don't deny it."

She could feel her heartbeat quicken and her cheeks flush with warmth, her breath was hitched in her throat. Sabrina couldn't deny it. He was so close. She swallowed, turning her head slightly so she could see the side of his face that rested against her.

"What were you going to ask me?" She asked him and Tommy shook his head.

"I wanted to apologise." He said. Polly had spoken to him- put everything in perspective. "About John."

"There's no need." She whispered, and Tommy moved to look down at her. "I could never love him."

"You deserve someone who values you." Tommy continued and it was making Sabrina feel irritated.

Did he not understand what she was saying? Sabrina was over John, over the idea of him that she had obsessed over for so long.

"Shut up, Tommy." She said, but he wasn't looking at her."

"He wasn't-"

Sabrina pulled him in for a kiss, silencing him with her lips, hands around his cheek. Before he could kiss back, she pulled away, smiling up at him as she shook her head.

"Just shut up." She whispered.

Within seconds Tommy's lips were on hers once again and they were pushing each other toward the bed in the edge of her room.

***

Sabrina shivered slightly, smiling as she felt the quilt being pulled up to cover her shoulders. Tommy was beside her, staring up at the ceiling, a faint, blissful smile on his lips. As he felt her eyes on his face, he turned to gaze down at her through droopy eyes.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked."

"The silence." He said. "I don't hear the war."

Tommy pulled her in closer, wrapping his arms around her waist, his head no longer on the pillow, his eyes closed. He had quickly fallen asleep, his bare back spread against the bottom of her sheets with her sprawled out on top of him. His arm was around her waist, tucking her into his side as they slept and her arm was thrown across his torso comfortably.

She didn't want to fall in love with Thomas Shelby. But Sabrina feared that she already had, long ago. It was in her nature. But she knew what she had to do.

"I'm sorry, Tommy Shelby." Sabrina whispered before turning back to lean on his chest, closing her eyes, feeling his heart beat against her ear. Just one last night.

I don't want to break your heart.

❤︎