𝐸𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐸𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡: 𝐴 𝑚𝑖𝑠ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑑 𝐶𝑜𝑛𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑚

"You look beautiful, Bets!"

Betty laughed, thanking Mary. Her three sisters sat around her room, gazing up as she exchanged a purple dress for a black one.

"You're joking. I can't go to the Garrison wearing that." She exclaimed, dumping the plum coloured garment onto the floor. "For London maybe, but Birmingham, ha! Definitely not."

"Just wait." Sabrina said, raising from her seat on the bed and walking to the wardrobe, picking up a gold slip dress and holding it to her sisters neck, letting it hang in front of her, in the mirror. She twirled her sister around, placing a feather head band, a top her head, laughing. "Soon you'll be dancing around London with us around you."

"Don't forget Henry!" Little Jane screeched from the corner of the bed with a cheeky smile, before hiding her head under the bedding as Betty threw a pillow.

"Jane!" She exclaimed. "Cheeky git."

Both Mary and Sabrina shot her a glare of warning before pulling Jane to her feet.
"Soon we'll all be the ones in fancy clothes and dancing."

"Betty with Henry, Sabrina with John-" Mary said, and before Sabrina could say anything, Betty was already protesting.

"It's only one drink at the Garrison, and I haven't even got it over with yet!" Betty said, rolling her eyes and blushing lightly.

"Come on, we need to get you ready." Marry said, shaking her head and pushing her sister toward the vanity.

***

The Garrison was surprisingly quiet for an warm evening. There was space at the bar, as Betty sat waiting for Henry.

"Drink?" The barmaid asked and Betty nodded, asking for a gin.

She turned glancing toward the commotion toward the door way. The Shelby brothers had entered the pub, walking passed their normal place in the private room and taking up a seat at the bar. Betty went to greet them but stopped upon hearing their choice of conversation.

"Come on, Tom, it'll be back by the end of the day." John argued, as he hung from his chair, pleading.

"What'd you want the fucking thing for anyway." Tommy asked, shaking his head as he received his bottle of whiskey from Harry, waiting for his glasses.

"I'm taking Sabrina out." He said, straightening upon seeing the glance his brother sent.

"And does Sabrina know?" He asked.

"Well. No." John stuttered. "But there's no way she'll say no."

Tommy sighed, shaking his head. "What is it about her that's got you so wound up?"

"I don't know, Tom."

Betty sat listening intently. Henry came behind her placing a hand on her back as he slid onto the stool beside her, blocking her clear view of the two Shelbys. She shushed him and swatted him to the side, in just enough time to hear Tommy's next sentence.

"Well whatever it is," he said, standing up with the whiskey bottle and glasses, "find it and get rid. She's wasting enough of your time."

John stood to protest. Betty watched on with a scowl, smacking Henry once again as he began to question her, utterly confused at her silence.

"That's the end of it." Tommy finished the conversation quietly, beckoning toward the private room that was no longer empty. "Now come on."

After the two boys had disappeared into the snug, Betty stood from her stool, a glare painted onto her face. She grabbed her coat and bag, pulling them over her shoulders in a hurry.

"Betty, what's happening? Where are you going?" Henry asked, standing up and in front of her.

"Did you hear them!" She said, before she continued in a mutter. "Talking about my sister like that."

She continued blabbering as she snakes around Henry advancing to and out of the door. He followed quickly behind, pulling on his cap, still confused.

"But we were going to get a drink?"

"A waste of fucking time! That's a right joke. If anything it's John fucking Shelby who's wasted her time after all these years!" She exclaimed quickly, word after word flowing form her mouth without time for filter.

"Don't you agree?" Betty stopped still in the street, turning to ask Henry his opinion.

"I don't even know what's going on!" He shouted, his face dazed. He sighed after seeing her annoyed glance.

"Weren't you listening?" She shouted back, turning in her heel once more, walking back home.

Henry waited for a moment before following her once again. They stopped at her door way as Betty turned to look up at him.

"Sorry about the drink Henry, another time though, alright?" She asked, planting a firm kiss on his cheek before disappearing behind the front door, leaving him with no time to answer.

"Can't catch a fucking break." He muttered before turning back and heading toward the pub, once again.

❤︎