chapter 1 - soft hair

[Bennett]

I sat there in the middle of French class with two idiots bothering and pestering me about the cuts and bruises that were scattered on my body. They poked and touched all the blemishes engraved in my skin.

"Felix... Jack... there's nothing wrong with my face!" I yelled for the fiftieth time. Jack gave me an uneasy look.

"Sure... sure..." Felix chirped as he poked the large bruise dominating my face.

"Ah! Shit!" I whisper-shouted as I clung on to my face for dear life. I always tried keeping up my facade that I was alright. I was... right?

"Who's the person that's constantly beating you up? I'll fuck em' up!" Jack announced as he pretended to punch the air. He had a scowl on his face, which made him scarier than he already was.

But we were soon quieted down by the only teacher that actually does her job. Mrs. Duquette, our French teacher. She handed us some worksheets, shushing us and telling us to fill them out before the bell rings.

I saw Jack's eyes go wide as he obviously checked her out. His eyes were dragged up and down her body.

I could tell he took a quick peek under her skirt as well.

"Mrs. Duqutte is so hot..." Jack said in admiration. He put his hand on his cheek and sighed. "Her body tho... she may be 42 but damn..."

"MRS. Duquette!" Felix slapped Jack on the back of his head, "MRS! She's married!" The two boys bickered about, saying stupid things like always. They were always like this. Both boys were my best friends, me being the one balancing those two out.

They were completely different...

Jack was my best bud. He'd always be there for me when I really truly needed it.

Jack was the kind of guy to wear nice clothes in a messy way. He'd wear designer hoodies, but would always have his hair like a rat's nest. Wearing the same fuck-boy pants, he'd always flaunt off his new shoes he got the week before.

But he was my main man, my brother, and my favourite weed dealer.

On the other hand, Felix was the Russian exchange student that appeared to have killed someone at least once in his life. He always had his fading, pink hair — unlike Jack's dark hair— sticking out of his beanie and a chain necklace with a lock; A lock without a key. He'd have a different outfit every day, actually caring about his appearance— a grunge, edgy aesthetic.

He was a smoker, an avid one, too. He was just a ghetto white boy with a some craziness mixed into the pot.

Character-wise they were similar, but their features were like comparing a dog to a bird. I loved how different they were. I loved how they were the definition of opposites attract. Sometimes.

I scribbled down my answers as Felix and Jack continued to quarrel about the dumbest things.

"Ok Russian boy, what the fuck do you mean by, 'brown cows produce chocolate milk'?" Jack shouted a little too loudly, gaining attention from the other classmates in the room.

"Well, thats what my mum told me!" He retorted, gaining a snicker from a few students in the room. I looked down in embarrassment, totally aware how stupid my friends were.

"Okay, mamma's boy..."

I saw Mrs. Duquette open her mouth to say something, but the loud shrill of the bell rang, preventing her to do so. We all stood up and gathered our things. I swung my bag over my shoulder and headed out the door.