chapter 2 - hey, you're cute

[Bennett]

It was time for the hungry, rabid wolves to scavenge for food. It was the hour where they'd attack and kill for the perfect piece of meat.

You could hear them growl, sneer and pant, aggressively attacking their own pack for...

...the apple sauce.

It was lunchtime.

All the students ran into the room, shoving their own friends to be first in line. Today was Monday, which meant $5 pizza meals which included chips and a drink.

It was arguably the best... and cheapest day of the week.

I walked over to the lunch area, looking for Jack and Felix.

I spotted some pink hair sticking out of the crowd like a white rose in a red rose bush.

"Felix! Jack!" I cried, running over to them. "where's Eshal?" Felix looked around and pointed to a girl in a light pink hijab. I looked over and saw Eshal walking over to us.

"Hey, guys. Do you guys want to join Greyview Sports council?" Eshal said as she walked over to us with a clipboard. She was the grade 11 representative and was in charge of all the councils.

"No..." we all said in unison.

"Hey! Bennett, you should join the hockey team! You're good ain'tcha? Jack, you should join tennis we have a tennis team finally, and Felix you should just... sit there and watch!" Eshmal clapped her hands together in glee, "Kay, I'll sign ya'll up!" she giddily skipped off.

"What the fuck does she mean about sitting?" Felix complained, "I ain't unathletic!" he huffed and crossed his arms.

"At least you're not getting involuntarily signed up..." Jack sighed. Felix grabbed Jack's arm and shook his head, dragging him towards the lunch bar as well.

I always thought that Felix kinda liked Jack. Felix acted differently towards Jack than to me and Eshal. Felix always babied Jack since he came here... He'd always get jealous when Jack talked, or hung around with other girls.

I might just be imagining things.

We all grabbed our cheap, greasy food and headed out to the hallways. Nobody ate in the cafeteria; we sat in the hallways and ate.

---

Felix, Jack and I sat by our red lockers, munching on our when Eshal came over and sat right next to us.

"Hey Eshaaaaal," Jack hummed as she groaned in annoyance. Eshal completely ignored him and turned her attention to us.

"My sister is being so dumb. She's going after a guy with a girlfriend already..." she said, groaning.

"Who is it? is it Kevin or Lucas or Liam....?" Felix asked, with a mouth full of chips. I sat there in silence just ghosting the conversation.

"Oliver Spacey... the black kid from England." she rolled her eyes when she answered him. "Diane is his girlfriend. AND DIANE AND MY SISTER ARE LIKE- BEST FRIENDS!" She raised her voice so much, a lot of people gave her a weird look as they walked by.

I was suddenly interested in their conversation which made me cringe. I never cared about anyone this much.

Not even my parents.

"Oliver Spacey?" Felix questioned.

"Yeah," Eshal replied.

I looked at Felix and Eshal back and forth until Felix said, "He's one of my good friends. I heard he was trying to break up with his girlfriend. Manha might have a chance." Felix chuckled a bit and Eshal rolled her eyes.