Chapter 4

Draco's POV

I saw Granger grinning to herself from the corner of my eye as we followed the headmistress up the moving staircases to the fifth floor. We walked in silence past the Prefect's bathroom and turned a sharp left to be met with a painting of Severus Snape. Draco felt his heart stop as he took in the hooked nose and the long, black, greasy hair. He could still remember Snape's voice telling him that he, Severus Snape, was bound to keep him safe, no matter what. Draco felt like throwing up. Snape turned his black eyes their way.

"Password." Snape said, his voice familiarly silky and quiet. Not a question. A demand.

McGonagall straightened a bit. "Unity."

Hermione snorted beside me. Draco almost laughed. She clearly thought as much of 'unity' that he did. Complete bull. McGonagall levelled a nasty look at us. "For that is what I expect our two Heads to have."

Hermione lowered her head. All thought of laughter drained out of Draco's mind. Now was not a time for playing games. The portrait swung open and Draco was the first to leave the draughty corridor and the picture of his mentor behind.

Inside was a cozy, round room with bright hangings on the walls showing Hogwarts' grounds. There were two doors leading out of the room other than the one they had just come through. One had 'Head Girl' written on a plaque, the other 'Head Boy'. There were two windows, one floor-length and rectangular, with thick purple curtains bordering it, the other a beautiful stained glass window of an owl, wings outstretched. There were also two desks, two chairs, and two armchairs in front of a roaring fire, and also tall mahogany bookshelves that were half-full - clearly we were meant to bring our own books to fill it. But most of all, there was also a shared bathroom.

"Just great.he muttered under his breath.

Granger gasped. "It's so pretty." She walked towards the bookshelves and ran her hand over the spines of the books. McGonagall left, the portrait hole swinging shut behind her.

"Is that really the first thing you go to? The books?" Draco demanded.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Honestly Malfoy, did you expect anything less?"

"Why go look at books when you could look at me instead?" Draco countered. "I am definitely much more appealing."

Granger snorted. "For some, maybe."

Draco cocked his head. Was she repelling his charms?

"Granger, sweetheart, if you are going to share a common room with me, you have got to get used to the fact that some girls would pay to get this." He gestured at his body. Granger's cheeks had blushed faintly when he had called her sweetheart. Hmm. Complements then.

"And, darling, it would be such a shame to waste time burying your pretty nose in a book when your eyes could be looking at the hottest guy in school." He finished, smirking.

Granger went deeper pink at the 'pretty' comment. This was definitely more fun than he had had in ages!

"At least books have something intelligent to say." Granger said, turning away.

"You could teach me how to be interesting," Draco purred, walking closer. Granger stepped away.

"No thank you." she said disdainfully.

"No. You'll fall for my charms in the end. And then we'll see who's 'unintelligent'." Draco said.

"I would never fall for you!" Granger announced. Draco's eyes lit up.

"That sounds like a challenge." He said, oh how he loved challenges. "Fine. Whoever gives in first, loses. You falling for me, and I being unintelligent. Although sweetheart, you're never going to get that one. I am far, far cleverer than you."