Chapter 8

Hermione POV

Both Hermione and Draco immediately turned around to be met with a smug-looking Ginny with her hands crossed over her chest.

"So I was right all along!"

Ginny then noticed that Hermione seemed to be blushing very deeply before asking, "Oh... was I interrupting something?"

Draco rolled his eyes, "No Weaslette, you definitely weren't interrupting anything. It's perfectly fine." he said sarcastically. Ginny didn't seem to take the hint though. In fact, she seemed a lot more cheerful and happier than normal.

"Well the party's basically over and everyone's starting to leave. I think we should head back as well...Why are you two suddenly so awkward around each other? I swear you were fine like...five seconds ago. More than fine actually."

"Yeah, well, that was five seconds ago." Hermione said. Draco loosed a breath beside her. She turned to him, questioning, but his face was blank and calm, none of the feeling she had seen left.

Ginny fiddled with her hair. "Um, if you guys want to get ready..." She turned and walked away, towards Blaise.

"Thanks for the dance." said Hermione nervously.

"You're welcome." Draco said smoothly.

"Look, I... I mean I.... Sorry about Ginny."

His mask cracked a bit, and an amused expression flitted across his face. "It was Ginevra's fault."

"Speaking of Ginny, I'd... better go." She said. Why was everything so awkward?

"Fine. I'll go get Blaise."

Hermione stumbled off to find Ginny and Harry who were waiting for her outside the club.

They walked back to the castle in silence and Hermione decided that she would sleep in the Gryffindor common room tonight. How was she supposed to even talk to Malfoy after all the events that occurred? Things had gotten so awkward between them after Ginny had interfered, not that she realised. Besides, Professor Mcgonagall never mentioned that you had to sleep in the Head's dorms anyway. Hermione walked with Ginny and Harry up to the Gryffindor tower in silence. They didn't bother to question her on where she was going, but Ginny looked strangely upset. When they arrived, Hermione smiled. She had forgotten how comfortable and cozy the common room was. The giant roaring fire, the amazing view and especially the stuffed armchairs where she would read after a long day of studying. She would always be surrounded by friends whom she could talk to there, and there was even a spare bed covered with thick scarlet blankets and embroidered with gold in Ginny's dorm room! Hermione thought back to the almost kiss she and Draco had shared. She didn't know whether she was relieved or sad when Ginny had interrupted them. If they were to kiss, she didn't know whether she would be doing that because of the 'heat of the moment' or whether she actually liked him. Hermione let out a sigh and decided that she would sleep in the Gryffindor common room for a couple of days. She couldn't talk to Malfoy. Not right now.

*****

Over the next several days, Hermione and Draco didn't really talk at all. That was probably because Hermione had been trying to avoid him in every way possible, whether it was after class or avoiding his gaze in the Great Hall. Hermione had occasionally gone so far to even just ignore him completely by pretending she didn't hear him. She was also sleeping in the Gryffindor common room with Ginny a lot longer than she had intended as she enjoyed her company.

Ginny had noticed Hermione's strange behaviour so when the two girls were walking down a corridor, Ginny seized her opportunity to find out more about their situation. "Hermione, do you like Malfoy?" It seemed like this question had been bothering her.