Chapter 14

Ginny hissed in Hermione's ear. "Are you sure you're going to come down this corridor?"

Hermione snarled. "Ginny, if you ask one more time..."

Suddenly footsteps echoed down the corridor. But...

"Hermione," Ginny said slowly. "Why are there voices?"

Quickly, they hid in an empty classroom. The voices kept approaching.

"... And then, Crabbe sat on me! Honestly. I had just fell from 40 feet and he comes crashing down on top of me. Really, who needs enemies when you have friends like mine." Draco Malfoy said, turning the corner with Old Hermione. Old Hermione giggled, then turned serious. She stopped in the middle of the corridor, bringing Malfoy to a halt

"Draco, I'm your friend, aren't I."

Draco looked down at her, a questioning expression on his face. Then he smirked. "You can be my friend. But only for a price."

Old Hermione rolled her eyes. "Really?"

Draco smirked rakishly. "Well, I believe that the normal fee is getting your head shoved down a toilet, but I can make an exception."

Old Hermione tried and failed to keep the smile off her face. "Oh, so what do I have to do then?"

Draco smirked. "Kiss me."

In the empty classroom, Ginny squeaked. Hermione squeaked. Old Hermione squeaked.

"Um... no thanks, I'll pass."

Draco smirked. "You know you want to."

Old Hermione blushed. "No, I don't. You're so self-absorbed."

He laughed. "It's one of my best qualities."

Old Hermione laughed too, and the couple disappeared down the corridor.

*****

Ginny turned round and shrieked. "You never told me that happened!"

Hermione was just as shocked. "That's because it didn't!"

Ginny's face of outrage morphed into confusion. "You mean you don't remember?"

Hermione rolled her eyes - a lot like her past self had a few minutes ago. "No Ginny, it just didn't happen."

Ginny looked even more confused. Hermione sighed. "Like I told you before this happened, I was supposed to walk down this corridor alone. I don't know what happened there."

Ginny still looked confused. "But what did we do? We must have changed something already."

Hermione nodded. "My guess is that we changed something by walking in on Ron and Lavender. And maybe walking past my old self. I don't remember seeing us when I was there."

Ginny's eyes widened. "This is going to be harder than I thought..."

*****

An hour later, they were trying again. Ginny was in a state of panic. She was talking very fast. "Okay. Plan. Um. You're supposed to walk down this corridor alone, we knock you out, lock you in a broom cupboard and then you pretend to be Hermione. Even though you already are. Whatever. Yeah. You got it?"

Hermione sighed. "I've got it."

Footsteps tapped down the corridor behind them. Ginny checked her watch. "You're on time..." she whispered.

Old Hermione rounded the corner. Ginny lept out as Lottie.

"Oh, hi!"

Old Hermione jumped back. "Uh, hi?"