Chapter 6

Hermione POV

Today was the Quidditch Inter-House finals and there was no doubt everyone in the school was going to watch it. The match between Gryffindor and Slytherin was always traditionally tense. However Hermione was never really into watching Quidditch - she would normally rather have a nice, peaceful study session in the library as everyone would be at the quidditch pitches. However she had promised Ginny around a week ago that she would come and support today so she definitely wouldn't want to break that promise.

She went into the common room and saw Malfoy sitting on the couch in his Quidditch robes, putting on gloves and knee-pads, with his broom beside him. The match was at 14:00 but it was only 08:00 in the morning right now so she didn't know why he was changed so early.

"Good morning Malfoy, why are you changed so early, the match only starts at 14:00 right?" Malfoy turned and shook his head.

"Really sweetheart? I would have thought you would understand Quidditch after hanging around with Potter and the Weasel for so long. As captain I need to warm my team up before the match, otherwise their game will be terrible."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "You're captain?"

"Why yes, I am. I don't know why you're so surprised. It's quite obvious that I'm the best player in Slytherin."

"It is?" Hermione murmured. Draco pretended not to hear her.

Draco then got his broom and hurried out of the portrait hole.

"Well I can't be late, can I? I wouldn't want them waiting, not that we need practice since we're gonna kick Gryffindor's arse anyway."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Honestly Malfoy, just get your fat ego out of here already."

Draco smirked at her, then left. Hermione sat on the armchair, the conversation replaying in her head. And the last thing she thought of before she went down to breakfast was Malfoy's face as he had smirked at her before leaving.

Harry and Ginny were already downstairs, sitting together with Dean and Seamus. However they looked rather uncomfortable as Ron and Lavender were sucking each other's faces right besides them. Well, looks like they made up since Potions. Hermione sighed before sitting down opposite to Ginny and Harry, far, far away from Lavender and Ron, and took a piece of toast, some butter and scrambled eggs. Harry grinned at the sight of his friend, clearly glad of the interruption.

"Hey Hermione! Excited for the game today?"

"Of course I am! Good luck to both of you by the way, I'm sure you'll beat those Slytherins easily."

"With all the training we've done, I sure hope so!"

Hermione's favourite thing about the post-war Harry is that he seemed much more obliged to try and be positive. God knows everyone needed it. Unluckily, Lavender seemed to hear this and cut into the conversation, "Of course we'll win seeing as Won Won's on the team!"

The sight of Ron's awkward smile and Lavender's gushing about 'Won Won' and how good a Quidditch player he was made Hermione want to puke. Literally. She excused herself saying that she was going to the library before leaving the Great Hall but instead, she decided to go back to the Heads' Dorms to have some peace and quiet as Malfoy wasn't there.

She entered through the portrait into the common room and collapsed onto one of the armchairs. She had lost her appetite after witnessing the freak show that was Ron and Lavender snogging for God knows how long. She pulled out a book and started reading it, but couldn't concentrate, finding herself reading the same line over and over again without taking anything in and eventually closed her eyes and dozed off without realising.