Chapter 5

Hermione's POV

The next morning Hermione woke up and the first thing she thought of was Draco. Last night she had had an awful time trying to get to sleep - Draco's scars kept flashing before her eyes. Long, puckered white strips that looked like ice on snow, as his skin was pale anyway. I can't feel much of anything now... What a horrible person Lucius was. She felt like going over to Malfoy Manor and killing the bastard in his sleep. 5 years old! There were evil people in the world. So very, very evil. What was even stranger was how he didn't call her a mudblood or any sort of insult this year. She wasn't going to complain though, after all she would rather have a friend then foe.

That wasn't the only thing she was thinking about though. Her mind kept coming back to when Malfoy had been talking about his father and he had called her Hermione. His voice had been like honey on pins - smooth, but with a jagged undertone, icy and metallic, like blood.

Hermione quickly shook the thought away and got out her timetable. Her first lesson was Potions with the Slytherins. Joy of joys. She got out of bed, grabbed her Gryffindor school robes and hopped in the shower. Lessons started at 9:00 and currently it was 7:00 so it was most likely that Malfoy would still be asleep. However, when she came out, she was surprisingly greeted by the sight of him sitting in front of the fire reading a Potions textbook. His white-blond hair was gelled to the side and his feet were resting on the coffee table in front of him.

"Maybe you should take a picture Granger, it would probably last longer", he smirked and continued to read.

Hermione rolled her eyes and sighed before entering her room to get some parchment, ink and quill and a textbook. A minute later she joined him and sat in the opposite armchair before slamming her things on the coffee table. She hated how you couldn't study in your own room as there wasn't a desk in there meaning she would practically always be facing Malfoy. She began taking notes - she could already tell which potion Slughorn was going to task them with today: the Draught of Living Death. It was hard, but not massively so, which meant it would be a good test to see who had been doing their homework.

"Are you genuinely doing homework for a lesson we haven't done yet?" Malfoy said, sounding curious. "Sweetheart, what a waste of time."

"I like to get ahead. You'll envy me tonight when Slughorn sets a foot long essay on the importance of asphodel and essence of wormwood in the Draught of Living Death."

"Darling, I have better things to do."

"Really? Well, you seem to be reading a potions book, so excuse me if I don't believe you." She snapped. Draco raised an eyebrow.

"Wow, tetchy, aren't you."

"Normally I don't have a stupid bugger questioning me on everything I do."

"Really? Well, you seem to have been dating Ronald Weasley for the past year, so excuse me if I don't believe you."

"Shut up."

"Your wish is my command."

And to her surprise, Malfoy didn't say anything until the bell.

*****

They were walking to Potions, when the back of Hermione's neck began to prickle. They were just passing the main staircase, and most people were still at breakfast. Still, Hermione had a nasty feeling something bad was going to happen.

"Draco, do you hear anything? I'm not sure, I-"

"Draco dear," someone mimicked for behind. "I'm scared."

Draco whirled. "So you should be." He already knew who it was.

It was Ron. 

The Head Boy and Head Girl turned around to see the furious redhead standing behind them with his hands crossed over his chest. "So we're on a first name basis now are we?" he sneered.