Chapter 12

When Hermione walked out the bedroom, Ginny was sitting in her armchair by the fire, looking into the flames. She turned, and Hermione could only picture how bad she looked by the look on Ginny's face.

"I'm Ok." Hermione said and she was surprised to find out how hard those words were to get out. They were glass shards, ripping her tongue, slicing her lips. She didn't think she had told a bigger lie in her entire life. Ginny seemed to sense this but, bless her soul, didn't press the issue. The ginger girl turned back to the fire and Hermione struggled to find her voice.

"Um, Gin." she said, her voice shaking. Ginny turned around, eyes filled with concern. I don't need your pity. I will make this right.

"He had something to say to you." Hermione whispered, staring down at the ring. It glittered in the half-light.

"What was it?" Ginny said quietly. Her tears started slowly, running down the side of her face. Hermione smoothed out the slightly crumpled letter gripped in her fist. She could barely focus on the words.

"He said that he liked your spice and your sass and that he doesn't want you playing Blaise."

Ginny laughed through her tears. Hermione hadn't finished though. Her voice broke on the last words. "And that he wants you to look after yourself."

Ginny nodded, half laughing, half sobbing. She tried to speak, but it took a while before she could get the words out.

"Did... did he have messages for anyone else?"

"Blaise, his mother. And me."

Ginny gave a weak smile and caught sight of two glittering emerald eyes staring right at her. "What's that?"

Hermione looked down at the serpent ring that wrapped perfectly around her index finger. "It was a gift from him." She continued to twirl the ring in between her thumb and finger and sighed. She refused to let her lips tremble. "I think we should also pass on his messages to other people."

"You mean Blaise and Narcissa?"
Hermione pressed her lips into a thin line, "Yeah, they deserve to know."

Ginny nodded. She didn't exactly want to meet the tall, dark skinned boy after she had promised him to protect his best friend from the demons he was facing. Ginny pushed the fear of Blaise out of her head and sighed.

"Alright then."

*****

Hermione and Ginny descended a step of stone stairs which lead deep into the dungeons and were met with a bare stretch of stone wall. Ginny turned her head to face Hermione with a puzzled expression.

"Are you sure this is the entrance to the Slytherin common room? I mean, it's just a wall"

As if on cue, the wall rippled, revealing a secret corridor which lead inside to the common room. The two girls barely noticed the figure that was making their way towards them. Blaise made it out of the passage and looked at Hermione and Ginny for several seconds before turning his back and retreated back into the corridor, back to the fireside that flickered with greenish flames.

"Blaise, wait!" Ginny shouted.

"What the hell do you want?" A voice as cold as ice echoed down the damp hallway.

"We're just here to send a message."

Blaise finally turned towards them. His expression was hard and his eyes were as cold as ice. "From who?"

"From him"

"How dare you speak for him after what you've done!"

"Please, Blai- "