Chapter 18

Hermione slowly made her way to the Gryffindor common room. Time for some rest. God knew she deserved after all this drama. As she walked through the portrait hole, she caught sight of a clock on the wall. It was fantastically carved and carefully made, all mahogany cogs and whorls of flowers, but Hermione wasn't looking at the clock's exterior. Hermione gasped. It was 8:30 in the evening and if she was correct...

*****

Four minutes later, Hermione was entering her bedroom. She gazed wildly around the small room. Everything was undisturbed. Except... there was a letter on the pillow. On it, was written her name in Draco's swirly writing

Hermione ran downstairs, shoving past students, who looked angry, then slightly scared when they realised who she was. She sprinted down the steps in front of the front door, and raced around the side of the castle. Just get there, she thought, just get there in time. She skidded around a corner, before jolting to a stop. The Astronomy tower loomed up in front of her and at the foot...

Hermione stepped forward, tears filling her vision. Before her, there was a checkered picnic blanket and sitting down on top, watching the setting sun, was Draco. Hermione began to realise what a mess she was, her flying in all directions, her robes creased. In contrast, the boy she had given everything to save - her past, present and future - looked like an angel. Glossy hair and smooth skin, lit up à glowing gold by the rays of the sunset that painted pink and red streaks across the sky. She felt ugly and mortally flawed. But when he turned to her, it was like he had never seen anything so beautiful.

"Heya," he said, giving her his signature smirk. His eyes were alive, an almost blinding grey colour.

"Hey." God, I am such a mess. Hermione thought, her hands shaking slightly.

"Come sit."

"Uh, sure." She sat on the blanket and then realised she was crying. Tears of happiness. He's alive he's alive he's alive.

"Mione?" He asked, looking worried. She just shook her head. Gently, he cupped her face with both his hands. He looked at her, properly looked at her. His grey eyes... he's alive he's alive he's alive.

"Hermione." He said, and it sounding like a prayer on his lips.

He's alive he's alive he's alive.

He looked into her face and smirked. Then brought his lips to hers. She could taste blackberries and the smell of lemongrass was making her head spin. It was... incredible. Her body pressed against his and she could feel hard muscle underneath his robes. She could also feel the beating of his heart against her chest as his thumb caressed her cheek and her hands entangled in between his blond locks. Their lips parted and they shared a breath. He's alive he's alive he's alive.

They broke apart and Draco smiled. A proper smile. Not a smirk. He'd never done that before for anyone. Now he was smiling, just for her. We're alive we're alive we're alive.

She brought her lips to his again and she could taste his smile, his mouth curving into an unfamiliar, yet impossibly comforting shape. He opened his mouth, teasing hers with his tongue and she opened for him, letting him in. Ron's kisses couldn't even compare she thought distantly. It was like to compare a candle with the sun. They broke apart and Hermione felt out of breath. Draco smiled at her.

"Remember to breathe, sweetheart. Can't have you passing out on me."

She smiled back and leant in, savouring him, tracing her hands over his shoulders and across his chest. He let out a little surprised noise at the back of his throat and she laughed into their kiss. He laced his right hand in her hair and his left through her fingers and pulled her close, as if he could pull her right inside his body, make two hearts one. She smiled and traced his lips with her tongue, eliciting another sound of surprise.

The time was finally back to normal again and her boy was safe. Hermione murmured against his lips. "You're mine now." She could feel Draco's smile broadening.

"Yes. I'm yours." He conceded.

She had never felt as happy as she did right then. She could hear his heartbeat, strong inside his ribcage. And for someone who didn't like noise, who spent most of their time in a library, the relief she felt was astounding. No more silence. She knew that in about ten minutes they would have to go inside for dinner in the Great Hall and separate to their different houses, but for now, she was content to just lose herself in Draco. No more silence.