Chapter 17

Ginny POV

Ginny was having a dilemma. She could either double back to the Head's common room, stay with Hermione and watch the drama that was Dramione, or she could visit Harry in the hospital wing like a good girlfriend - not that she would be his girlfriend but it was the thought that counted. She dithered in the hallway, listening to the sounds of Hermione and Draco awkwardly navigate their conversation and decided that Hermione could probably cope on her own. Probably.

Ginny walked down the hallway and down the staircase. Suddenly she became aware of two people whispering in a classroom and both voices sounded very familiar. Slowly, she peeked around the corner and caught sight of the people inside. Her eyes bugged out. It was herself and Blaise! Blaise looked red-face and Other Ginny looked cross.

"Gin... I-I didn't... I mean - "

"Oh Blaise, right now, I'm not sure I even care. I've got far too much to deal with."

Blaise shifted uncomfortably. "Gin, I'm really sorry - "

Ginny stopped him with a ferocious scowl. " Look, Zabini. I will say this on no uncertain terms - if you have hampered my boyfriend's recovery by telling him that I belong with you," she said with a snort of derision, "then I will personally send you to your grave."

Blaise looked at the floor. He looked like Ginny had just hit him. The fiery ginger softened a bit.

"Blaise, I can't afford to let anything stand in Harry's path to recovery. And I know you think you like me, but I don't think you really do. I think you just haven't found anyone special to you yet and I'm sorry about that. But I have. And I love him too much to let him fall because of you."

Blaise looked at her. "You... love him?"

Ginny smiled at him sadly. "Yes. With all of my heart."

Blaise finally met Ginny's gaze. "Then I wish you a happy life."

With that, Blaise gave a weak smile and turned around, leaving Ginny standing in the hallway.

*****

Outside, Future Ginny leant against the wall. She thought of Blaise's face and Harry's eyes and Old Ginny's strong conviction. Tears were blurring her eyes but she smiled even as she wept. A few moments later, she used the back of her hand to gently wipe the tears away that trailed down her cheeks. Ginny thought it would probably be better not to visit Harry, not that she didn't want to but she just didn't want to cause any trouble since no one seemed to know who 'Lottie Parker' was.

Ginny yawned. She checked her watch. It wasn't even that far through the day yet Ginny still felt a bit drowsy. "I guess keeping up a disguise must have drained all my energy," she thought. Even though it wasn't the best idea, Ginny decided to skip dinner and returned to the common room before she dozed off into a peaceful sleep.

*****

Hermione POV

Where's Ginny? Hermione was sitting by herself in the Great Hall. She looked down onto some vegetables that were scattered on her plate but she had lost her appetite thinking about her best friend. She looked towards the entrance to the hall, then looked to the Slytherin table. It didn't escape her notice that Blaise wasn't there either. Suddenly Blaise Zabini walked in. Hermione jolted back in surprise. It was like she had summoned him! She raised a hand in greeting, then did a double take. Was Blaise... crying? Blaise suddenly caught her eye. He flushed, turned, and walked straight back out again.