Chapter 1

This is my first major science fiction story. It's also a prequel. : < ) Was a submission for the Sci-Fi monthly contest deciding to flesh out the rest of the story. Originally thought of it as a short story but as it has grown thought it was better to cut it up so it wasn't as jarring to read.

If you enjoy the story give it a like or a comment. Hope that you enjoy.

2/27/20: Thanks to everyone for helping me reach 100 reads. : < )

From the dark side of the moon the Terran spaceship came closer seeing the entire scope of the planet. The captain stood on the top deck looking out seeing the view screen of the Earth. Was this where my ancestors came from all those years ago? , he thought.

"Captain Turner?"

"Yes, ensign," he said, turning to the officer.

"We are in sight of the what is called the United States."

"Thank you."

The ensign looked on in amazement seeing the lush blue and green planet below against the blackness of space. The ensign could tell that the captain gave him a sideways glance.

"I'm sorry sir."

"No need," the captain replied. "I am fascinated too."

"So all the stories are true?"

"Apparently so."

"Extraordinary," he said. "Will they be ready for us?"

"I don't know."

The captain was briefed prior to leaving for Earth. It took several weeks to get here but up until now Earth was still just a myth. From the various sources of their TV and motion picture transmissions aliens were seen as either ambivalent or evil creatures wanting to invade and control the world.

"Stay in this position," Captain Turner said.

He walked down the hall stepping into his quarters where his wife greeted him with open arms and a hug.

"You know after attending Brown's meeting I didn't believe it?"

"Me either to be honest but look outside your window," he said, motioning outside. "It's Earth."

Terra, their mother home world, had suffered for years from environmental catastrophes almost to the point where the planet was becoming inhabitable; however, there was hope. The scholars had long held a belief that centuries ago ancient Earth people had the ability to explore space and colonize other planets and now they had found their proof the planet wasn't just a fable that parents told their children at bedtime. In a way this was a home coming celebration for everybody.

"I'm afraid though. I mean this will be a big change for all of us."

"How much time do we have left back home?"

"According to everyone's estimates a year at most," she said, tearing up.

"Anna, you knew this would be an eventuality," he said, wrapping his arms around her back.

"I know," she said, wiping away the tears. "but it doesn't hurt any less."

She took another look at the Earth from her live photos at her desk seeing the sun peaking out behind the world.

"So what next?" Anna asked, looking up at him.

"We are going to make first contact. We did a deep search of their Internet and decided this would be the best place for it."

"Please be careful. Whatever you do don't be showing off."

"Don't think they have seen a race of telekinetics before," he said smiling.

"I just wish we didn't have to leave our home world."

"Trust me, it will all work out."

He leaned in giving her a soft kiss on her forehead.

Stepping on board the transport ship Captain Turner stood in front of three other officers one of which was one of his closest friend, Martin, who had reached the rank of Lieutenant.

"Okay, this is going to be our first trip to the planet. Weapons are being left on the ship."

"Sir?" Second Officer Christopher Michaels questioned.

"You heard me, Michaels. This is to be a peaceful envoy. They are probably more primitive than us but all of them are still our descendants."

They all started walking up the hallway to the main cockpit area.

"So what did Anna have to say?" Martin asked.

"Oh you know, no showing off the telekinesis. Told her I'd be careful," he answered. "She is still kind of broken up about forcing to leave home."

"Any place is better even though from what I read their polar ice caps have been melting for years due to various environmental causes."

"Well maybe our efforts in trying to save Terra will be more effective here."

"The replicator was able to manufacture civilian clothes for all of us, " Christopher said.

"So where are we landing?" Martin asked.

"It's an area called Arizona."