Chapter 8

After arriving back at the base Frank was sent straight to the infirmary. The General and Aiden waited patiently outside of the operating room awaiting to hear of his condition. A few moments later the doctor came out pulling off his gloves.

"Is he still alive?"

"Yes," the doctor nodded. "We managed to repair the damage and sew him up. Having the bullet already out made it easier for us."

One of the officers walked up saluting the General. "Sir, we looked at the entire surrounding area and found several tire tracks a couple miles west of the Terran ship."

"I suspect I was being targeted," Aiden answered. "Frank jumped into the path when he heard the gun shot."

"But nobody outside of this base knows of your landing."

"Would you mind if we conducted our own survey?"

"Be my guest."

Aiden pulled a sliver desk tapping a button on side seeing a 3-D image of Martin sitting at his console.

"Do another scan of the area but this time look for any heat signatures."

"Will do."

Aboard the Terran ship Martin pressed a few buttons on his keypad doing a scan showing the outlines of various combustible vehicles including a Terran ship. He stopped the scan for a moment to double check his findings.

He pressed another button and said, "Hey, are you guys missing a ship up there?"

"Confirmed, Lieutenant," a Terran officer said. "The hanger bay is showing one private ship is missing."

"Thank you."

Martin furrowed his brow knowing that they wouldn't of let anyone else make an unauthorized trip to the planet.

Back inside of the General's office Aiden's communique chimed where he pulled it seeing Martin appear again.

"What did you find?"

"We found the trace of the vehicles but we also found another Terran transporter and I just checked that there a private cruiser missing from the ship."

"What do you know about this?" the General said looking intimidated. "We trusted you."

"General, I swear this is the first I am hearing about this," he said. "We all intend to find out the truth of the matter."

"You probably saved Frank's life so I will give you that."

"Thank you."

                                                                                                *********

The rogue Terran officer drove until he could see more buildings into a more populated area. The logic would assume he would stay clear of the other humans but it was a calculated risk. In all likelihood if they had already done a scan they would notice the discrepancy of a cruiser having gone missing. He couldn't go back to the ship and have to answer questions he couldn't comply with. Hideout. Last and best option.

He drove by a bank noticing the outside ATM machine that spit out money and stopped. I am going to need more money, he thought. He got out standing in front of the machine looking it over placing his hand on the machine. From that he could easily in his mind see the inner workings of the machine seeing the amount increase until he stopped it at $5000. That should be enough. The money spit out down below where he collected his cash stuffing it into one of the jacket pockets.

Once he was back in the car he kept driving hoping to find a nondescript place to stay. He turned his head to the left seeing up the street the big "Motel" sign pulling into an empty parking spot. He got out turning the knob of the closest door feeling it locked but held the knob and closed his eyes hearing the door click. He could then easily turn the knob opening the door seeing a queen size bed and a little lounge area with a table and two chairs and a small TV. The bathroom was plain. Sink, shower, toilet.

It was going to have to be good enough for now just so he could have a place to rest and collect his thoughts and figure out what he would do next.