Chapter 16

Fort Huachuca at Sierra Vista was a home to Army intelligence gatherers as well as used for training exercises but today it was the place where the Terrrans would officially return back home to Earth. Aiden and Martin stood beside a team of other Terrans and Anna before walking down the ramp together on to a runway.

"You sure about this?" Anna said, wrapping her arms around her husband.

"I don't think we have another choice," Aiden replied, giving her a hug. "It'll be alright. Trust me."

They all together walked down the ramp greeting where Aiden shook hands with the General once again. From inside of a hangar reporters and photographers waited anxiously sitting in their chairs in front of a podium with a mic attached to it. After the last line of chairs stood a row of officers at attention when General Turner came walking inside flanked by Mark one side and Aiden on the other. In the rear Martin, Anna and the other Terrans representing their committee walked closely behind.

As the Army detail arrived the assassin quickly had slipped behind a plane pulling out a small remote time sensitive bomb from his jacket pocket and placed it underneath on the belly. It would create enough of a diversion amongst all the chaos to kill the Terran captain and escape. He now stood quietly at attention with the other officers in line observing the General stepping up to the miced podium.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. I am here today to announce that we have encountered our first contact with confirmed extra terrestrials. But I would like to reassure the general public that they come here in peace looking to simply co exist with us. But I will let you hear him for yourself."

Aiden smiled at the General looking at him as he stepped to up to the mic.

"My name is Captain Aiden. I come from a world called Terra where...."

Suddenly, from outside a loud boom of an explosion could be heard reaching the inside of the hangar echoing against the walls.

The whole audience's attention quickly turned their heads where everyone rushed out to see what had just happened. Aiden quickly turned his head furrowing his brow in concern staring at Martin and Anna.

"What are the odds?" Martin asked.

"I know," Aiden replied. He continued looking around seeing  everyone on duty rushing out to find the source of the explosion. "I don't like this. Stay close to Anna."

Aiden stood side by side with the General looking at the plane going up in flames.

"Looks like your announcement is being ruined," the General said.

"General, I think this is a diversion."

"You think your assassin is here."

"I am almost sure of it."

Inside of the hanger Martin and Anna stood together watching from a distance with the Army and other Terran officers working together to put out the flames.

"Martin, I'm worried," Anna said.

"Don't worry," he replied. "We are safe right here. They'll put the flames out and we can keep going."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," the assassin said, holding his gun at Martin's back. "Slowly turn around."

Martin slowly stood standing face to face with the assassin.

"And if you try to make any moves," he said, pointing his gun at Anna. "she gets it. And I don't think with all of your ablities you will be fast enough."

Martin began to relent stepping backward until he swung his arm to try and connect with the assassin's face. Then the assassin reached up with his own hand deflecting Martin's fist flipping it around where he was able to grab his arm and pin it behind his back.

"Martin!" Anna cried.

Martin head butted him throwing the back of his connecting to the assassin's forehead making him fall backwards dropping his gun on the ground. He pulled out a knife holding it up in his hand taking swiping motions at Martin that he quickly avoided.

"Not you or anyone else is going to stop me from collecting my reward."

"Yeah, why don't you tell us who hired you?"

"Sorry," he said, lunging at him again. "I don't divulge my clients."

"Anna, run and get out here. Get Aiden," Martin said, turning his head for a quick second.

"Enough of this," the assassin said, quickly reaching for his gun firing at Martin. Martin's eyes glossed over falling to the ground.

"What did you do?" Anna asked frantically, feeling tears well up in her eyes staring down at Martin.

"Don't worry, he's not dead, he's just stunned. He will be out for a while. As for you."

The assassin grabbed her by a shoulder blade dragging her away.

"I say that you are the perfect bait."

After it looked like they had the explosion from the plane under control Aiden reentered the hangar seeing nobody but Martin slumped on the ground. His eyes went wide rushing to his side kneeling down over him attempting to jostle him awake.

"Michaels! Get in here now!"

"What's going on?" Lt. Michaels said, rushing in seeing Martin on the ground. "What the hell happened?"

"The assassin, he was here, and he took Anna."

Outside hopping into a jeep with Anna the assassin started it up having figured out the rudimentary controls and started driving off heading back to his ship.

Hours later, laying on a cot Martin woke up with a major headache slowly lifting his head up seeing Aiden walking into the room.

"How are you feeling?" Aiden asked.

"Like I had one too many Terra Galaxies. Probably not unlike their beer." He sat up rubbing his face feeling it dawn on him in his mind. "Anna?!" he exclaimed. "Did he take Anna?"

"Yeah, by the time I got back she was long gone."

"I'm sorry," he said, looking sullen.

"Were you able to get anything out of him about who sent him?"

"Nope, and not for lack of trying. He didn't divulge anything. But you can probably bet it's related to the Terran uprising from years ago. What do we do now?"

Aiden's communicator started going off hearing static until the voice came in crystal clear.

"Captain Aiden, I have your wife and if you would like to continue to see her alive you will meet out in the desert at a designated location. Come alone. I will be sending the coordinates to your ship."

"You know it's just a trap?" Martin said. "He's a trained killer."

"I know, but this where it has to stop."

Aiden slid behind the wheel of a armored plated truck starting up the ignition turning the key.

"We could send someone covertly without detection," Mark said. "Snipers who can shoot at long range."

"I thank you but this is something I have to do on my own."

"Well you had no problem figuring out our cars," General Turner said smirking.

"Yes, pretty simple for us," Aiden said smiling. "Thank you for it's use."

"You're welcome," he said, nodding. "Go get your wife back, Captain."