Recordings

The room was silent as Derek and Boyd poured over the books they had, trying to learn as much as they could about Deucalion. The books he had laid out were recordings of previous packs. Stiles would have loved to hop on the computer but felt out of place here. He wondered if he should have just left with Scott.

"You said you're dealing with a shit load of information today. What kind?" Isaac asked from his spot on the love seat across from Stiles.

Stiles cleared his throat. "I uh... I found out that I have a spark." He mumbled, not looking at Isaac as he spoke.

This caused Derek's head to snap up. "You're what?"

Stiles' was sure the wolves could hear the way his heart was hammering in his chest.

"The mountain ash I used to trap Jackson...It ignited a spark," Stiles clarified, his eyes remained on his hands. His fingers were rapping against his knee anxiously.

"How'd you find that out?" Isaac pressed.

"Deaton," Stiles answered vaguely. He knew he needed to tell Derek about the mark, but he just couldn't. He wanted to be sure there wasn't some way of getting out of it. Suddenly Stiles sat up straighter. If Scott was turned into an alpha, would Stiles be able to be his emissary? Did he necessarily have to listen to some mark?

"Are you planning on becoming an emissary?" Isaac was leaning forward now, more interested in this new development.

"Is that something I can just not do?" Stiles asked, his eyes sliding towards Derek.

"You don't have to become an emissary, you don't even have to practice but biologically you'll always be a spark," Derek answered.

Stiles only nodded.

As silence fell over the room. Boyd and Derek turned back to the books and Stiles went back to being fidgety.

"Is there anyway to tell if there are any members of these packs still alive?" Boyd asked scrolling through a list of names in one book.

"I'm not sure," Derek shook his head.

"I can check the police database and see if they're still alive," Stiles piped up then. He was good at that kind of thing.

Derek rose his brows curiously at the human.

"Research is kinda my thing," Stiles shrugged.

"I'll get my laptop," Isaac stood then, rushing off to the other room.

"Do I want to know how you know how to do that?" Derek asked, crossing his arms at the human.

"My dad's the sheriff," Stiles shrugged as if that explained it.

"Here," Isaac handed stiles his laptop and took a seat next to him.

"Okay, so I'll only be able to check some of the more local packs as my dad doesn't have jurisdiction for the ones on the east coast," Stiles said as he started typing.

"Here, these are the ones located in California," Derek held out a book, which Isaac took.

Stiles worked on putting in each name while Boyd and Derek leaned over his shoulder to watch.

"Okay, so it looks like there is one person alive. Her name is Eve. She lives in L.A. I have an address and a phone number, but I don't know how helpful she'll be," Stiles hummed as he read from the screen.

"Why?" Isaac asked leaning over further to get a better look.

"The book says these records were taken fifteen years ago. She is currently eighteen according to her birthdate. Making her three at the time. She likely doesn't remember anything that could help us."

"She's the only one out of all of those packs?" Derek asked with a sigh.

"Unless they've completely relocated and changed their name, yeah. Whoever took these records might know more," Stiles looked at the book, carefully turning the pages. "Where did these come from anyway?"

"Deaton. The emissaries of the packs kept recordings when the attacks started. The emissaries are dead now. They were the last of the pack to die. The entries always cut off before we know what really happened."

"I don't understand why he's coming for you if he already has his pack," Boyd pointed out.

"It took a while for the pack to be formed. Several of the alpha's refused him and in turn lost their life. I'm guessing he wants more power. Nobody really knows his motivation. At least not that I could find in here," Derek gestured to the book still on Isaac's lap.

"Do any of the recording say anything about how to beat him?" Stiles asked, handing Isaac the computer back.

"No," Derek huffed, making his way back to the table. He ran a hand through his jet black hair before leaning his head in his hands.

Stiles wanted to offer some sort of encouragement, but he honestly didn't know what to say. He didn't even know if Derek could be comforted.

At that moment Erica returned with a bag of food. "Okay, boys, who's hungry?" She grinned. Her eyes landed on Stiles as she set the bag down. "I'm surprised you're still here."

"I was helping," Stiles shrugged.

"Why'd you stay to begin with? I doubt it was to help. Did you ever ask your question from earlier?" The blonde pressed as she handed Stiles a to go box with a burger and fries.

"Actually, yes," Stiles nodded. He could let the emissary question count. It would keep Erica from prying further.

"Stiles is gonna be an emissary," Isaac spoke up then. His tone more enthusiastic than necessary.

"Really?" Erica perked up.

"No, no, I just...I have the ability as it turns out," Stiles shook his head as he shoved a fry into his mouth.

"You could be Derek's emissary though. I mean he's been an alpha for what a few weeks and then you suddenly become an emissary? Come on, it's like it's meant to be," Erica smiled widely at the pair.

Stiles nearly choked on potato at her words. Meant to be. Did she know? How would she know? He hadn't told anyone, and he doubted Deaton told anyone, much less Erica.

"Come on, if Stiles was gonna be anyone's emissary it would be Scott's," Isaac snorted.

"Scott's not an alpha," Boyd pointed out around a bite of burger.

"Not yet. You heard what Deucalion's plan is."

"If Scott dies would you be Derek's emissary?" Erica asked, her eyes boring holes into Stiles as he stared uncomfortably down at his food.

"I don't want an emissary," Derek spoke up then.

Something in Stiles' stomach knotted at Derek's words. "You don't want me as your emissary you mean," Stiles' tone was harsh, his eyes meeting Derek's.

"You and I both know this would never work," Derek spoke simply, trying to keep his tone even. He hadn't meant to upset Stiles, but he clearly had.

Stiles didn't answer. He dropped his eyes back to his plate instead. He would have agreed with Derek, but the mark he bore proved they were wrong.