A teacher

Stiles reached the bottom of the steps when Erica caught up with him.

"You shouldn't go out alone," She dangled the keys in front of him.

"Erica, please, I'm not in the mood," Stiles could handle a lot of things, but Erica right now, was not one of them.

"I'm just offering to drive," She shrugged innocently.

Stiles gave a huff. He didn't have his jeep right now, cause it was lodged on some tree stump in the middle of the woods. "Fine."

"Are you okay?" The blonde asked as she started the car. Her tone sounded genuine which Stiles wasn't used to.

He was about to dismiss her, but he paused. She would know he's lying, and he really didn't feel like being pushed to talk.

"Look, I know this is a lot, but I think it's really great what you're doing. Derek has been under a lot of pressure and knowing you have his back is comforting. I mean maybe it's the whole mark thing, but I don't think so. You're smart and you've always been there for Derek when he needed you. Try not to let the pressure get to you. We don't expect anything from you."

Stiles frowned, "Scott does."

"I think you put Scott in his place. Without you he's completely alone. He can't afford that, and he knows it. He knows if he doesn't accept Derek being in your life then it's gonna cause a problem. I don't think he wants that," Erica offered with a shrug, her eyes sliding over to Stiles.

"I just don't want to let anybody down," Stiles slumped in his seat. He hated this. He didn't want this pressure on him.

"You won't because there's nothing expected of you."

"You say that, but I'm literally fated to be Derek's emissary. I'm expected to choose between him and Scott. I'm expected to practice. I'm expected to protect you all. I don't know if I can do that," Stiles shook his head harshly. He was trying not to send himself into a panic attack.

"Stiles, Derek would never make you choose, he's not like that. And you're not expected to practice and protecting us isn't your job. You can help us, sure, but you're never expected to. We all work together, you're not alone in this, I promise."

Stiles looked at Erica carefully, gauging if she was just trying to make him feel better or if she was being genuine. He liked to think himself fairly decent at reading people and she seemed to be pretty genuine.

"Thanks," Stiles gave a small smile.

-

Derek felt the tension in the room grow once Stiles left. Scott was glaring at him, but he remained silent.

"You should be more supportive of Stiles, he's under a lot of stress with these new abilities," Isaac spoke up, looking at Scott.

"I do support him. I just don't trust him," Scott jabbed a finger towards Derek.

"Well Stiles does," Boyd piped in, his tone still thick with pain.

"Are you gonna make him be your emissary?" Scott asked looking at Derek with pleading eyes as if begging him to not make Stiles do something he didn't want to.

"I can't make him do anything."

"Do you want him as your emissary?"

Derek's jaw clenched. He honestly didn't know how to answer that. He hadn't ever wanted an emissary because he didn't trust anyone enough, but over the past few days Derek was beginning to trust Stiles but now, he worried it was just because of the mark. But wouldn't the mark mean he could trust Stiles? It was all too much.