35 - You leave a path of destruction

Ryan

He should have expected Heidi's call and her wrath.

"What the hell is going on?" Heidi hollered into the phone.

"Calm down, I don't want to be blamed for you going into labor."

"Plah-ease after thirty-seven weeks, I want this kid out of me!" Ryan winced at her words. "Now don't change the subject. Did you know the prick was screwing a child?"

"I knew he was when he first took her to dinner. I suspected it was the reason he waited so long to..."

"To what?"

"To have sex with Lana," he said quietly.

"How did you know about their sex life?"

"Lana told me they hadn't the night her ex upset her"

"So you find out that low life she married screwed around and you didn't think to warn her."

"Yeah, I did, but after Isobel, I didn't want to get involved."

"None of this has anything to do with Isobel!"

"No, but Adam is a client and we've lost business because of Isobel... oh yeah, and you fixing me up with your friends!"

"This is Lana's life we're talking about."

"Yeah, I know. If I knew he was still seeing her, I would have told Lana. You have to believe me."

He acted contritely, but he wanted to question just how serious they were. She spent more time with him than she did Adam. Granted she was drunk, but he knew about her marriage and Adam only knew that she had an ex.

"I feel horrible. I miss my friend."

"Do you like her?" Heidi asked with a thrill in her voice.

"Yeah, but not like that."

"Why not?"

"Let's see. First off, she wants a husband and kids. Second, you told me to stay away from your friends."

"Oh, right and see you ended up hurting one. You leave a path of destruction, Ryan Harris."

"Listen, I can't stand it if you hate me too. I didn't mean to hurt her. I wish she would talk to me."

"Will you try to stay out of trouble for the rest of the summer?"

"I thought I was doing a good job until now. Isobel steals from me and I get shunned. Adam cheats and I get blamed. It really sucks."

"Jeez Rye, you are pathetic."

"I have a board meeting next week. I'm glad I'm leaving the beach. Maybe I should just stay home."

"No, she may decide she needs a friend while I'm here looking like a beached whale."

Ryan considered just going home, but he liked his summer more than he expected. Even if he hadn't become friends with Lana, he would have still been glad he came.

Those thoughts were with him a couple of days later when Douglas Alfano stopped by to say goodbye. "You're leaving before Labor Day?" He surprised Ryan.

"The wife doesn't want to be here. She wants to sell, but I don't know."

"I know Point properties are in high demand."

"I don't want it turned into one of those big houses like..."

"Like my brothers?" Douglas nodded. Ryan wasn't sure what came over him. "If you're selling, I'll buy it. I promise I only want a cottage."