Chapter 3: "No lying."

My reputation returned by the end of the day. People don't mess with me. I've decided to not wear the makeup anymore, and just wear my normal clothes.

I'm in the garage in black spandex and a white sports bra when the garage door opens and Ryan, Lucy, and Carter walk in.

I stop hitting. "Why are you guys here?" I ask.

"Who's bike?" Carter asks.

"Mine." I mutter.

"Is all this yours?" Ryan asks.

"Yes."

"Awesome." He says.

"Why are you guys here?" I repeat.

"Well..." Lucy sighs. "We were thinking of going to Los Angeles to the mall."

How the fuck can she hang out with them. They're holding hands.

"Are you two dating?" I ask.

They look at me like I'm stupid. "Um...we are meant to be." Lucy says. "You two aren't dating?"

"No." I say.

"Why?" Lucy asks.

"Because she doesn't like me." Carter says, admiring my bike.

"What?" Lucy asks. "You don't like him?"

I start hitting the punching bag again. They all watch me in silence.

"Are you coming or not?

"Fine. Let me shower."

"You're not taking your death contraption." Lucy says.

"Yes I am." I reply. I walk into the house and go upstairs. I take a shower and dress in white shorts and a red loose tank top. I put my hair up in a ponytail and I put on white vans and I roll on deodorant and I go downstairs.

I explain to my parents that I'm gong out.

"Is Carter going?" Mom asks.

"Yes. Why?"

"Nothing." She smiles.

_______

I'm in a really good mood because I rode my bike. Lucy ran off with Ryan and me and Carter are at the food court because we hit every store we wanted to go to.

"Can I ask you something?" I mumble. If we're supposed to fall in love...I just want some answers.

"Okay." He says.

"Which me is more attractive?"

"Both." He says.

"Which one do you favor?" I ask.

"Both."

I take a deep, annoyed breath.

"There isn't one you like a bit more? I want to know." I look into his eyes and he closes his mouth and stares back.

"I like this one." He says. "I like the real you."

"Okay." I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and we fall back into an awkward silence.

"Why do you hate me?" He blurts.

I look at him and sigh loudly. "Does it matter?"

"Yes. It matters to me. It matters a lot."

I'm quiet for a long time, deciding whether or not I want to answer him.

"I just...my parents don't like the real me. I was really out of control. When I did what I did to that girl, they were going to threaten to send me off to military school. I faked being a nerd. That's why I faked it. I dislike you because you have everything I want."