Chapter 10: "Alright. Fine."

Carter.

That's the first thing I thing when I open my eyes and am greeted with my mom and brother and best friend and her boyfriend and my father.

"Where's Carter?" I mumble. Memories come rushing back at me, and I panic. "Where is he?"

"He's fine." Mom reassures me.

"What else?"

"He's already out of the hospital." Mom says. "It's been a week."

"What about the other three?"

"They're great. So is Carter. They're back at school."

Why are they back at school and I'm still here, just becoming conscious for the first time?

"You have asthma." Mom says. "Severe astma, actually. You developed it from stress, anxiety, and the smoke..." she sighs. "You died, sweetheart."

I stare at her. "What?"

"You had an asthmas attack after saving everyone. When you fell unconscious, it kept going and your heart stopped, right there in front of everyone. They brought you back via CPR, and then when you woke, you kept doing it, and...well, you just kept dying and every time they brought you back, you kept having asthma attacks. They kept bringing you back every time until they got you an inhaler." She sighs.

"Why don't I remember it?"

"You brain was shutting down. You wouldn't remember that." Dad says.

"I don't remember them bringing me back and giving me an inhaler."

"That because you passed out right afterwards." Kyle says.

"How are people at school?"

"All of you guys attend Crestview."

"The middle school?"

"Yes, but they divided it up and you never see the middle schoolers."

"When can I go to school? When can I go home?"

The doctor walks in. "You can go to school tomorrow. You can go home today." he says. "How do your lungs feel?"

What the fuck kind of question is that? "They feel like lungs."

"Does it feel like when you breathe, it isn't enough?"

"No."

"Okay. Now, let me tell you," he begins. "You have severe asthma. You brother has one of your inhalers. Both of your parents have one, your best friend, Lucy has one, and Carter, your boyfriend has one. You will also have one. It is very important that if you feel like you are going to have an asthma attack, you do take care of it."

What an idiot. Why would I not take care of it?

___________

I'm actually nervous for school.

I shower for the third time since coming home, and I put on a white pushup bra, a black loose shirt that says "rebel and proud" in glittery huge letters, and then I put on red shredded skinny jeans and my black combat boots. I grab my backpack, which made it out cause I had it on when I was carried out.

I sigh and rush downstairs. I don't eat breakfast, and I walk to school. I know exactly where to go in.

Right when I walk in the doors, people stare.

"Roxy!" some girl that I don't know cries out. I look at her in confusion.

My nerves makes my lungs feel heavy.