44

decided to take a one day break haha, my hands hurt from writing too much :)

(Y/N POV)

Love me, love me.

I stared outside of the car window, watching the apartments fly by as we drove. I always imagined Italy to something of the stereotypical sort: smelling of pizza and people dancing in the streets. Instead it smelled of seawater and there were only people milling about.

"So what's the problem?" I asked Talos, who was still in his Fury disguise.

"I'll tell you once we reach the base, there's someone I want you to meet first."

"Right, is it a hero?" I said, shaking my hands around sarcastically.

"Actually, yes. He's a hero," Talos mocked.

"Gross, I've had enough of those people."

"I don't see what your problem is with people interested in saving the earth? Your dad was a hero, and you looked up to him, no?"

"Sure," I said, "but that's what got him ki.. You know what I mean."

Talos kept his eyes on the road, but I saw him glance at my wrist. In a sudden act of defense, I covered up my watch with my opposite hand. I don't know why I even attempted to hide it, it was clear the man had noticed.

"If you're against the whole idea of being a hero," he asked, "why are you wearing that watch?"

"For an imposter, you seem good at noticing things."

"It's in the trade. You still haven't answered my question."

"And I won't," I said, shaking my head.

The car came to a screeching halt, and I was thrown forward, crashing into my seat-belt. My ribs hurt from the hit, but when I went to check on Talos, I noticed his eyes were glued in front of him. Correction, frozen in front of him.

Right in front of the car was something horrible.

A creature made entirely of water was rising up from the river in front of us, staring at us with beady eyes.

"Get out of the car," I said, unbuckling my seat-belt, and popping open the door. Slamming the door behind me, I started to run in the opposite direction of the creature, keeping watch that Talos was behind me. "What is that?"

"An elemental!" He yelled, "the reason why we brought you here!"

"You said I was only here for business! Don't expect me to save the city from that t-thing!"

The water-being started to roar, spraying water over everything in a hundred yard radius. People from the city were screaming, ducking under whatever they could, and the rest of them were stampeding to get away.

In the mass horror, I wasn't watching where I was going and tripped over a cobblestone block. I went flying onto the road, scraping almost every inch of exposed skin on my body. The Venetians seemed too scared for themselves too noticed I was sprawled out on the ground, and they started to run over me in chaos.

Not again, please not again.

My breathing started to get heavier, and with every hit I took, I curled up tighter into a ball. It wasn't enough, it wasn't enough. Through blurry and tear-stained eyes, I couldn't see Talos anywhere, or anything really in fact.

"Help!" I heard someone scream, "Happy!"

There was something strikingly familiar about the voice, and it only took me a few seconds to realize what was going on. The voice I was hearing was my own.

Suddenly I was surrounded by a flash of light, and I found myself in New York again. Except it wasn't New York. It was the past.

"Dad!" the voice screamed again, "anybody?"

I turned my head to look in the direction of the voice, and I came face to face with myself. My younger self. The little girl who was almost crushed to death in the Attack on New York.

Above me was the Chitauri, crashing into buildings and firing upon anything they could. A wave of panic ran over me, and my heart started to race faster than it should.

"Stop!" I said, hitting the side of my head, "Stop reliving this!"

It took me years to get over my fear of crowds, but now I was slowly sinking back into that state. I felt someone step on my rib, and I shrieked out in pain. I tried to stand up, but I was pushed down by more people in thier desperation to escape.

"T-this isn't real," I spat out, blood seeping from my lips, "THIS ISN'T REAL!"

The girl next to me stood up, as she was swept up onto her feet by a man.

"Happy!" she cried out, "I wanna go home!"

The man smiled at her, and slung her over his shoulder. He started to walk away, and I reached out to get his attention. My hand slipped right through him, as if he wasn't there. Because he wasn't there.

I rolled over onto my side, trying my best to stand up, but I needed help. I was in too much pain. A shadow suddenly passed over me, and I looked up to see a figure hovering above me. He extended a hand, and I took it, wobbling onto my feet.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, "I told you to stay at home."

I rubbed my eyes to get a closer look at the man, but I wish I never had. The familiar red and gold suit seemed to blind me, and I stared at the man I thought I had lost forever.

"D-dad?" I whimpered, my face stinging with tears and blood.

"Answer my question," he said, "Why are you here?"

"I-Was running," I explained, "h-how are you alive?"

"Running? You were running?"

"Yeah-"

"I expected more of you. You'll never be a hero if you run."

"I don't want to be a- a hero, I'm not like you Dad."

"And that's why you'll never amount to anything. Pathetic. You can't even stand up on your own."

I reached out a hand to touch him, but I passed right through him. When he helped me up, it felt so real.. Why was he gone?

"Y/N?" A muffled voice said, "Are you okay?"

I reached out to touch him again, and suddenly he was there. The muffled voice kept talking, but I took a look around and realized there was no there.

"Dad, what's going o-" I started to say, before realizing he was gone too. "Dad?"

I rubbed my eyes again, in the hope that I wasn't dreaming. That when I opened them again, I'd see his face again.

"Hey, It's going to be okay," the muffled voice said again, "focus on my voice."

I recognized the voice, the sound of comfort it brought. I opened my eyes, hoping to be back in New York, but instead I was in Venice. My dad was nowhere in sight, and neither was anything else.

Except the boy in front of me.

"Peter?"