Chapter 4: A hero...

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

3rd person POV:

Mother: Raphtalia, do you know the tale of the Four saints ? Out of the four, it seems that the hero of the Shield always treated us semi-humans very well.

Raphtalia: Really ? I want to meet him !

Father: Raphtalia, the heroes are not summoned during peaceful times. But, you know...

Father/Mother: You are a lucky child, Raphtalia. After all...THE WAVES OF CALAMITY, WILL SWALLOW THIS WORLD WHOLE.

Raphtalia: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

Naofumi: -talia. Raphtalia. Snap out of it !

Raphtalia: DAD ?!

Naofumi: Not even.

He flicked her forehead, bringing her back to reality.

Naofumi: Damn. When are you going to wake up ? Y/n's already up and ready.

Raphtalia: Oh... 'Another scary dream... The day that wave appeared has been haunting me all this time...'

Your POV:

Hm... I could probably give you two silver coins for everything.

Naofumi: ... I see.

"Say, you know any place near here where we could make out some money quickly ?"

Merchant: Well... if you can find and sell some ore from the nearby coal mine, it might bring in a little money.

Naofumi: Is that so ? Compared to other places, this village seems rather downhill.

Merchant: Ever since the wave came, it would appear some dangerous monsters have taken up residence in the mine. I heard that the heroes were summoned, but I've no idea of what they're doing to help us...

"Yeah... Us neither..."

Suddenly, Naofumi picked up the ball Raphtalia was eyeing for quite some time now, much to her confusion.

Naofumi: Hey mister, how much for this ball ?

Raphtalia: Huh... Uh...

"Don't hide it, you want it. You were already staring at it in town."

Raphtalia: But...

Naofumi: Think of it as a reward for what you've done. Here, take it. But playing comes after work.

 But playing comes after work

"But... But you just had breakfast..."

Raphtalia: I... I'm sorry... Uh...

Naofumi: Well, whatever. If you're going to eat, then let's go.