Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"Eleanor, honey, it's a nice surprise to see you here," Maria greeted as Jeb led her up the porch steps.

Eleanor's nerves were on edge and her hands were shaking. She hated being out in public; she felt as if someone would grab her, take her, and lock her up any second. While Jeb's presence did provide some comfort, she was ready to be inside.

"I wanted to see if I could help you."

Maria's surprise seemed to grow but her smile was warm. "Of course. I can always use help."

"How is Willa?" Jeb asked pulling his hat off his head.

Maria sighed and wiped her hands on her blood spotted apron. "I've done what I can in removing the bullet. Luckily it lodged in a rib and didn't hit her heart or lungs. She lost a lot of blood.

"All I can do now is keep her wound and bandages clean, watch for fever and infection and wait for her to wake up."

"I'll do anything you need," Eleanor offered.

"Thank you, dear. That'll take a load off an old lady."

Jeb shook his head. "You're not old, ma'am. Can I ask exactly how she got shot? The Marshal left the house before I could ask him."

Maria nodded. "She was coming out of the mercantile, stepped toward her horse and a man shot her in the back. She managed to shoot and kill him before he killed her but then she fell in the road and lost consciousness pretty quick."

Jeb nodded as he placed his hat back on his head. "Do you know the man?"

"No, and like I said, he's already dead so don't you worry about gunning after him." Maria warned pointing her finger up at his nose. "We're hoping that Willa can tell us the man's name when she wakes up since he certainly seemed to know her."

Letting out a sigh, Jeb stepped toward the door. "If you don't mind, I'll go look in on her and then head home to Gill and Preston."

"Tell my son and grandson to come visit me soon."

Jeb smiled. "Yes, ma'am." He disappeared into the house leaving Eleanor alone with Maria.

"Do you have room for me here or should I have Jeb get me a room at the hotel?" Eleanor asked, knowing that sometimes Maria's house became entirely full of sick patients.

The answer made her sigh with relief. "There's the spare room upstairs right next to mine and you're welcome to it."

Jeb came outside soon after. "I'll be heading back, Eleanor. I'll put your horse up at the livery."

He hugged Maria, tipped his head to Eleanor and headed down the road, leading the two horses.

"Well, come on in, Eleanor. I'll get something small made for supper and you can check on our patient."

Moments later, Eleanor found herself stepping into the patient room. Willa lay completely still upon the bed. Only the rise and fall of her chest indicated the other woman was alive. Her skin was pale, her freckles sticking out sharply. All of the fire and spirit Eleanor had seen in the cabin was gone. She hoped she'd get to see it again.

***

Damnation, Willa felt as if she'd been run over by a runaway wagon. Every breath was a struggle and full of pain.

Damn Harvey Dougal. It wasn't as if he'd been innocent. He'd cheated at that poker game and taken her money so she had taken his horse. She should have killed him for cheating that night and saved herself all this trouble.

A gentle humming reached her ears. It was a nice sound. Very soothing and peaceful.

Cracking her eyes open, the sigh she was met with took Willa's breath. The humming sound was coming from a beautiful woman currently holding a broom and moving elegantly around the room.

High cheekbones and copper skin showed she had a lot of native blood. Dark hair was pulled up on her head with wispy stray hairs dancing on her cheeks. The beauty wasn't the woman whos had helped scrape Willa off the street. She wasn't Maria.

"Who are you?" Willa croaked through her dry throat.

The woman let out a small cry, dropped the broom and turned to face her. "You're awake."

"I reckon. How long was I asleep?"

"Two days."

Willa tried to sit up but growled with annoyance when she couldn't manage it alone. The woman approached her timidly, much like a frightened animal. Why was she so afraid?

Finally, the beautiful stranger reached her bedside. "I'll help you up. You need to be careful. Your rib is broken and you have stitches."

Willa wasn't sure she appreciated being scolded but the woman's voice was pretty and soothing so she chose not to snap at her. Instead, Willa let her help her sit up. "So, who are you?" she asked again.

The woman poured a glass of water from a pitcher into a glass. "Eleanor," she replied, handing the glass to Willa. "I live with Jeb and Gill."

Willies family. Willa felt a pain in her chest that had nothing to do with the bullet she had taken. "Did you know Willie?"

Eleanor shook her head. "I've only been with the family a few years. My brother is with Wyatt. Wyatt knew Willie."

Two more men together? What kind of ranch was that? Most people like her had to hide and keep their desires secret—Willa always had. It was a lonely way to live.

"Why are you here? Do you normally help the doctor?"

Eleanor was wearing a gray shawl, which was odd considering the room was real warm, and she pulled it tighter around herself. "No. The marshall came and told us you'd been shot. I wanted to help you."

Willa frowned. "Why?"

"Jeb says you're family. Willie was family so that means you are too."

Those people were crazy. "I'm not Jeb's family. Family shares blood and I don't have any."

Eleanor looked sad. "I've found that blood matters very little."

"Says the lady with a brother," Willa snapped.

Eleanor's soft brown eyes turned harder. "My worthless parents are dead. I grew up in an orphanage. My brother took me out when I was old enough and I lived alone in a cabin until a few years ago when my brother came back into my life. Trust me when I say that those people are a family and offer more loyalty than blood ever has."

Willa swallowed hard. She hated knowing that Eleanor's life had been so lonely. "You and I have different definitions of family."

Eleanor sighed. "I feel very sorry for you then."

Eleanor took her water and sat it on the bedside table. "Let's get you laid back down. Maria wants you resting."