Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Eleanor woke the next morning feeling quite guilty for how she had spoken to Willa the night before. Willa had just learned of her brother's death and nearly been killed herself—she didn't need Eleanor lecturing her.

She was on her way to check on Willa when Maria stopped her. "Good morning, Eleanor. I have some home visits to make today. I need you to make Willa some breakfast, change her bandage, and check her wound. Can you handle that?"

Eleanor swallowed hard but nodded. She did not do good being completely alone with new people. Maria patted her on the shoulder. "You've learned a lot since you've been here. Maybe you'll keep learning and be the town's next doc."

Eleanor doubted that but, then again, she didn't have any other idea of what to do with her life. She couldn't live with Jeb and Gill forever—but she'd have to overcome her fear of strangers before she could ever be a doctor.

Maria gathered up her bag and left the house. Eleanor went to the kitchen and whipped up some eggs, biscuits, and potatoes. She knew Willa would be hungry this morning.

Plate of food in hand, Eleanor knocked on Willa's door before stepping in. Willa was sitting up in bed and Eleanor smiled. "Good morning."

"Better now," Willa declared. "You brought food. I thought the old lady was gonna let me starve."

"That old lady is the only reason you're alive," Eleanor replied gently. "I have your breakfast but first, I need to tend to your wound."

"Alright then. But make it quick, I'm starving."

Willa turned a bit and slowly lifted up the back of her skirt. It was clear from her jerky movements that she was in a lot of pain. "Do you want some laudanum this morning?" Eleanor offered.

Willa shook her head. "I keep telling y'all no."

"And we keep hoping you'll overcome your stubbornness."

Willa laughed quietly while Eleanor sat the blat of food on the bedside table and gathered up when she would need to change Willa's bandage and clean her wound.

Her hands were shaking as she reached for the old bandage on Willa's back. She had done this several times while Willa had been unconscious but she wasn't unconscious now. Something about touching Willa's warm, soft skin while she was awake and aware causing a tingling sensation to wash over her body—like the crackling of the air just before a lightning strike.

She was overly aware as she removed the bandage, and when her fingertips slid across Willa's back, Willa's sharp intake of breath reached her ears. Eleanor quickly went about cleaning the wound and bandaging it.

Willa fixed her shirt while Eleanor distanced herself and washed off her hands. "Thank you, Eleanor," Willa offered, grabbing up her breakfast plate and digging in.

Eleanor simply nodded and headed for the door, eager to be away from the feelings she didn't understand. "Hey!" Willa called. "Reckon you've got time to sit and talk a while? This room gets awful lonely."

Eleanor hesitated. She wasn't sure she liked the feelings she had just felt while touching Willa. They seemed like dangerous feelings—but she was sure Willa did feel lonely in this room all the time; and it was only conversation.

With a sigh, Eleanor stepped back into the room and pulled a chair to the bed. And awkward silence filled the air. Finally, Willa spoke. "You seem like a natural at this doctoring thing. Are you sure you don't help the doc?"

Eleanor picked a frayed string on her shawl. "I've stayed here a few times when Jeb and Gill have been gone on... business."

Willa studied her a moment with those gold-flecked brown eyes. Eleanor shifted in her chair. "They didn't seem much like businessmen to me."

"They leave on business sometimes," Eleanor insisted. She didn't add that that business sometimes involved trouble.

Willa simply tilted her head. "You're a grown woman. Can't you stay home alone?"

Eleanor pulled her shawl tighter. "No. I don't want to be there alone."

Those sharp eyes seemed to see right through her. "What are you scared of?"

For some reason Eleanor chose to answer. "People."

This clearly piqued Willa's interest. "Why? What happened to you?"

Eleanor shook her head. She wasn't telling Willa about that. "Let's talk about you."

Willa seemed amused. "What about me?"

Getting straight to the point the way Willa had, Eleanor asked, "Why did a man shoot you in the back?"

"Harvey Dougal," Willa growled. "He cheated at a poker game I was in and stole a bunch of money off me. Instead of killing him then and there, which is what I should have done, I took his flea-bitten horse. I figured that made us even. Bastard tracked me down and, like the coward he was, he shot me in the back."

Eleanor digested this information. This fiery, beautiful, temperamental woman was clearly trouble—but Eleanor found herself draw to her. She wanted to know more.

"Outside of poker and stealing horses, what do you do?"

Willa laughed and Eleanor found herself enjoying the sound. "I like trick riding and trick shooting. I do both now and then at fairs."

"We have a fair coming up next month. Maybe you'll be well enough to enter."

"I doubt I'll be here in a month," Willa stated. "I plan on leaving just as soon as I'm ready."

Eleanor felt disappointment which surprised her. Did she want Willa to stay? Why?

Slowly, Eleanor stood up. "I'm sorry I can't talk more. I have to get the kitchen clean before Maria gets home."

Willa didn't look happy but she nodded. "Okay."

Eleanor headed for the door. "I'll come back in and talk more at supper."

Willa's eyes lit up. "Sounds good."