Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Eleanor was happy to see Jeb and Gill's house and barns coming into view. She had missed home. Willa had been silent since leaving town and Eleanor suspected pain and annoyance kept her from speaking.

Willa didn't want to be at the ranch. Willa wanted to forget that the ranch and everyone on it existed. She was angry that her dreams of her brother had been dashed and that those on this ranch had known him when she'd never gotten the chance to.

But Eleanor was happy that Willa had come to the ranch. Eleanor had enjoyed the time at Maria's. She had enjoyed caring for Willa, even if the woman wasn't always the most amiable patient. Their talks had come to mean a lot to Eleanor and she looked forward to them.

It frightened her, honestly, to know that she was feeling so much for Willa. She wanted to be near the woman and hear her voice. Something in Willa's nearness gave Eleanor a peace she hadn't ever known with another person—not even her closest friends or her brother. She wasn't entirely certain what that meant.

And then there was the way Willa's touch affected her body. Eleanor had never before felt the tingling, the strange ache, the breathlessness that she felt whenever she was helping Willa get around or touching her bare skin while tending her wound. Eleanor knew what that meant, and it terrified her just as much as it intrigued her.

Eleanor, who had never been one to trust others, found herself trusting and even wanting Willa... She simply wasn't sure what she was supposed to do about that. Would Willa feel the same? It was Willa who had insisted on their morning and nightly talks—so the lady must feel something. Right?

As Zachariah pulled the wagon to a stop beside the barn, Wyatt was there instantly. After helping Eleanor from the seat, he immediately went to the back and was staring slack-jawed at Willa.

Willa was grumbling as she moved gingerly to the edge of the wagon. "Who the hell are you?"

Wyatt scratched at his neck and shook his head. His lips moved quickly. Willa frowned. "What's the matter with you? Can't you speak?"

"No, he can't," Zachariah stated, coming to stand beside Wyatt. "And you'll watch your tone."

"You're Wyatt." Willa nodded. She looked at Eleanor and her expression was apologetic. "I forgot."

Eleanor walked to the wagon and held out an arm to help Willa down. "It's okay. My brother can be a bit overprotective at times," she assured Willa, throwing Zachariah a warning gaze that seemed to catch her brother off guard.

Wyatt smacked Zachariah's arm to gain his attention as his mouth worked rapidly. "Yeah, yeah, she looks like Willie."

"Wyatt, is her room ready?" Eleanor asked as Willa tensed at mention of her brother.

Wyatt nodded and motioned for them to follow him. Just as they approached the barn, Jeb and Gill stepped out, both covered in dirt and sweat. It was clear they'd been working hard.

"We hope you'll be comfortable there," Gill offered politely.

"I'm sure I've slept in worse places."

Without speaking another word to her hosts, Willa headed into he barn with Eleanor casting apologetic glances and struggling to even keep up with the limping woman, let alone support or aid her in any way.

Eleanor was surprised by what she saw. The back stall was no longer really a stall at all. There were real walls and a real door. Opening the door revealed a small bed, a side table, a washbasin, and a hook for her gun belt. The bed was covered in a soft quilt with a feather tick pillow that appeared new.

Eleanor loved her family. Jeb and Gill had truly gone above and beyond for Willa. Eleanor only hoped that Willa would realize that and stop acting so hostile.

As she settled Willa on the bed, the other woman groaned. "Goddamn, I ain't cut out for being hurt."

"You'll heal soon enough," Eleanor assured her—and then she would be gone. "I will tell everyone to give you your space, but it would be nice if you would show some gratitude to those helping you."

Willa leaned against the wall and laid her hand over her bandaged side. "It's hard, Eleanor. I've never depended on or needed anyone in my entire life." She swallowed hard and averted her gaze. "And they knew him."

Eleanor nodded, pulling her shawl around herself. "I know you wanted to meet your brother and that was taken away from you. But that doesn't mean you can't know him. They could probably tell you quite a bit about him."

Willa didn't respond. Her expression was guarded making it impossible to tell what she was thinking. "I think you'd like Preston," Eleanor continued. "I've told you before he's learning to trick ride and wants to be in the fair. He'd probably love to meet you."

"So far the only person in this family I really like is you."

Eleanor's eyes widened and Willa seemed just as shocked by what had just come out of her mouth. Eleanor took a step away and swallowed hard. "I like you too, Willa."

With that, Eleanor turned and made an abrupt exit. She was practically running when she left the barn and ran directly into Zachariah's chest. He steadied her on her feet but released his hold quickly, knowing she was uncomfortable with long touches.

"You okay?" he asked.

Eleanor nodded, aware of Jeb, Gill and Wyatt still standing around. "Did she say something to you?" Zachariah pressed further.

"Yes...no... no." Eleanor shook her head and composed herself. "No, she didn't say anything wrong."

"Not the friendliest houseguest I've ever known," Jeb grumbled.

"Technically she's a barn guest."

Jeb raised a brow at Gill causing the ex-lawman to chuckle. "Pete wasn't here to say it so I took it upon myself."

"Don't be too hard on her," Eleanor insisted. "She's not used to accepting help or showing weakness—a lot like a certain brother of mine."

All four men seemed surprised. Eleanor knew why. She was not a person who spoke up or ever said much of anything really. Or at least she hadn't been. The last few days at Marias, spending time with Willa, had gotten her speaking more than she ever had before.

Without another word, she pulled her shawl tighter and walked away toward the house, certain it was lacking a good cleaning after being away so long.