An Unusual Meeting

"R- Rascal?"

He put a hand up to secure his jester hat before taking a theatrical bow. You couldn't help but smile slightly at the sight.

"In the flesh, somewhat." He responded.

"Somewhat?"

He shrugged, "Well, I'm not human, am I?"

There were several loud yells and bangs coming from further away. You paused for a moment until they stopped.

"You don't have to be human to have flesh. Animals have flesh too."

He sighed, "I cross dimensions to visit you and all you do is try to contradict me."

"What do you expect? You've been annoying me for days." You scoffed, crossing your arms over your chest.

He leaned against a tree, "Well, it's not every day someone crosses dimensions to meet you."

"Uh, you guys have been doing it to the Glitter Force for months."

He stood up for a moment and looked past the trees, squinting across the horizon, "That big oaf'll get sent back to the nightmare realm any second now. I don't have long."

You looked at him carefully, "Wait... Rascal.. how- how are you here?"

He sighed, "Of course you wait until last minute to ask that."

"Well, I got distracted by how annoying you were." You tried to suppress a grin and pushed him back slightly.

He raised an eyebrow, "Witty. I can cross over anytime I want, like the others can. But I'll be detected immediately, with time freezing and all."

He picked at his nails. You hadn't noticed how long they were- and painted black. Did he use nail polish, or was that just the colour of them naturally?

"But... the sky is red. That's that uh.. other guy's colour, right?" You realized the only one you actually knew the name of was Ulrik... and Rascal, of course. You remembered Emily had told you their names before, and you had a feeling that the troll's name had been mentioned earlier.

"Brute, yes. If one of them enters before me, I can cross undetected. But if the others get sent back before me, then the sky will immediately give me away."

You nodded, "Thanks for all the useful exposition. But aren't you in my head, like, all the time? How come it doesn't detect you then?"

He shrugged, "If I hide inside someone's body, or-"

"Please never say it like that again." You made a face, "It sounds like you wear their skin around or something."

"If I hide inside someone's body," He continued, as if you hadn't spoken. It was clear from the smirk on his face that he'd heard you, and took pleasure in ignoring that, "or I disguise myself to look like them, I won't be detected."

You shoved him lightly again, "Asshole." But your smile clearly showed you were joking.

"As I recall, you're the one shoving me." He responded.

You scoffed, "Uh, you're the one who stalked me in my dreams and then invaded my head."

"You can't say that in response to everything."

"Uh, yes I can. That is offically my get-out-of-jail-free card."

You sat down and leaned your back against the tree, "My legs ache, I'm sitting down now."

He nodded, "I can see. You've only been standing for ten minutes, lazy."

You gasped, "Hey! That is so rude!"