Steam and Gleam

Two girls sat on my medical bed as they held tissue up to their noses Monday morning.

"It's definitely Mr. Dan."

"For sure," the girls spoke.

"Who's this Mr. Dan?" I smiled.

"Just the hottest man to grace this planet."

"Oh really?" The girls were juniors and were both sixteen.

"You know, the new history teacher."

My eyes widened and I looked away. Of course! Carmichael! Why hadn't I known his last name! Debby had only told me his first name and I hadn't allowed him to introduce himself.

"You guys think he's cute?" I teased. "Don't go gettin' any ideas now, neither of you are anywhere near that man's age."

"He's what ... twenty-five? How old are you Ms. May?"

"I'm twenty."

"So you guys could date."

"I think you guys would be such a cute couple!" The other girl butted in.

"Please, him and I have nothing in common and after knowing the guy for a week, I know he's not my type."

"Oh, so you've at least considered him?" I turned to the talkative girl and she gave me a stupid grin. I turned back to my computer and listened in on what she had to say next to her friend.

"I think he's a vampire,"

"Which only makes him more dreamy!" They both squealed. Both girls were slightly overweight and both looked like Twilight fans as one of them wore a shirt with Edward's Collin's face on it.

"Why do you guys think he's a vampire?" I asked with a smile of my own. I got along pretty well with younger kids. I was only a few years older than them and having gone through college so fast I found myself out of place earlier in this job.

"Well," said the less talkative girl. "He's super pale," I tilted my head in acknowledgment of that fact. "The shades in his room are always closed. He has claws—"

"No, sharp nails!"

"Oh right!"

I hadn't actually thought about looking at his hands. Now, I was curious if the statement was true. I also took into consideration that he covered himself quite well in the sunlight.

"He has gorgeous eyes,"

"Well he'd have to to be so handsome," I said.

"Yeah but they're purple and unlike anything!" I rolled my eyes. I had only looked at Carmichael's eyes once and that was when we had first bumped into one another.

"He also has pointy ears. And he knows way too much history. Like, way too many details."

"Well I'd hope so, he is a history teacher."

"Can't you just allow us girls enjoy our fantasizing, Ms. May?" I smiled at the girls and after a few more minutes, they were excused.