A Peek into My Past

Whtie smoke dissolved around me and my eyes fell upon what I thought was a dream all these years.

A tall, slender man sat at a piano with a small girl. The girl was me, and the man resembled Carmichael. I didn't need to look around to see where I was. I was in the Count's grand ballroom, with a one windowed-wall and checkered-tile floor. There was a full moon outside that slightly hid behind the gray clouds.

I walked around the two sitting at the piano and gazed upon the phlegmatic vampire as he smiled and his fangs showed assertiveness. I glanced at myself at the age of fifteen and almost cringed at the tepid character.

I had convinced myself these past four years that I would come into this ballroom and play sadly alone but I always dreamt of playing with someone. Now I know why and who it was with.

Alexandru.

I cupped his cheek in my hand but he didn't feel a thing. I inhaled a choking tear as the memories of everything began flooding in. I leaned my head back as the young girl and vampire made beautiful music together on the piano.

I opened my eyes and the ceiling of my apartment was staring back at me.

"Alexandru," my knees gave out as the rush of memories overtook my mind and heart.

I fell into my lover's arms and we stared at one another. Suddenly we were on the couch with the vampire's speed. I pushed Alexandru's hair back and tears escaped my eyes.

"It really is you," The Count smiled and nodded. Tears peeked from his eyes and he smiled. We embraced and he squeezed me of my breath.

"Oh, Alexandru!" I gasped. I couldn't keep the tears at bay. "My lonely prince," I whispered.

"Maggy," he said in a low voice. I didn't want to let go of him. I buried my face into his firm chest and breathed in the metallic smell I had grown so fond of four years ago.

The memories of him and I together back in Romania were a great comfort to my empty heart. The moments he and I shared comforted the death of my parents. And him being here in my arms gave me comfort notifying me that he was here with me, and he would stop the awful events that I experienced in England from happening ever again.

"I'm sorry I never revealed myself sooner," Alexandru admitted. I finally pulled away and we held hands. I shook my head and wiped at the tears staining my cheeks.

"Why now?" I asked.

"It takes a lot to gain lost memories back." He answered.

"Wait, back up." Anger suddenly grew within me. "Why did you erase my memories?" Alexandru silently sighed and looked away. "I loved you then and I love you now. Why did you let me go?"

"I ... I wanted you to have a better life than the one I was giving you."

"But I loved that castle and the things we did together—along with Lukas!"

Lukas.

"I will never make such a mistake again."

"You promised you'd never erase my memory." I said. Alexandru looked away. I looked at his troubled face and wondered how much he truly missed me all these years. I grabbed him by the back of his neck and pulled him to me. His head rested on my shoulder and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I ran my fingers through his hair as he ran his hands around my back.

"I love you, Maggy,"