Our First Date

I laid in bed trying to comprehend all that happened earlier this morning.

Vampires exist!

I quickly called a tow truck company and got my car delivered to a maintenance store. I then called Debby for a ride. No way am I ever going out by myself again. Dark or not.

"So did you walk home?" Debby asked as she drove me into town.

"E-yes," I answered.

"What! Are you crazy! You should have asked me for a ride!"

"I know,"

"Well at least you made it home safely and without any troubles,"

"Yep," I said under my breath. I was going to tell my friend about last night but something inside me told me that she wouldn't believe me. Debby and I weren't 'best friends', so keeping this from her didn't actually make me feel guilty or sick inside.

Before she dropped me off, I asked for Carmichael's number. Debby made fun of me at first and I admitted that he and I cuddled all morning long. She wanted details but I told her I would give her more once a date went well with the guy.

Later, I called up my cuddle buddy from the trip. He didn't answer. I left a message and decided to look up summer jobs. I still needed money to pay rent and experience in anything was always good.

At four the man called me back.

"Hello? Maggy?"

"Carmichael," I laughed.

"Hi! Hey, I'm really sorry I missed your call. I just woke up from a nap."

"A nap? Did you not sleep in the car?"

"I didn't, I was too distracted by a certain someone."

"Oooh, I see how it is. Naw, I bet I was just uncomfortable."

"Trust me, I was comfortable." We both laughed. "So what's up!" I sat down on my couch in pajamas and twirled my fingers through my loose brown hair.

"Nothing at all. But I hope this doesn't sound creepy. I asked Debby for your number."

"I'm glad you did. I was wondering how I was to reach you this summer. I guess I could have asked Octavian—I mean Antonio for yours."

" ... Right ... ." Weird.

"Would you be willing to go out this weekend?"

"Sure, what do you have planned?"

"Do you like orchestras?"

"Yeah,"

"Well, I was thinking about taking you to New York."

"To see a performance?"

"Yeah,"

"Who?"

"It will be a surprise." My gut told me not to trust the man, but something deeper than a gut feeling told me to take the offer.

"Okay,"

On Saturday at four, Carmichael picked me up to go to New York. He told me to pack for an overnight stay if we decided to stay in the city and leave in the morning. I did but I couldn't keep myself from meddling with crude thoughts of what might happen this weekend. All week I was excited and distracted at the same time. I was able to find a job as a caretaker at a kids' nursery. I was also able to fix my car.

Carmichael's car was very nice. It was a black, shiny 1969 mustang. I watched as he made his way into my apartment building. I quickly scrambled my things together but he was uncannily immediately at the door. I opened the door and gave him a stupid smile.