I Burn My Boyfriend

I woke up and was confused. I asked myself how I got in my bed after Carmichael dropped me off.

Wait, did he drop me off?

I jumped out of bed still in this morning's clothes and found my date asleep on the couch.

What happened?

We got home ... and ... and ... then what? I couldn't remember. I remember Steve being at the door and Carmichael carrying me inside ... then he set me on the couch and we talked ... about my encounter with the vampires just a few days ago. He said I needed rest and that is why I'm in bed. Now everything was making sense.

I smiled and walked over to Carmichael. One of his hands gracefully touched the floor and the other rested on his stomach. I sat down on the edge of the couch and ran my own hand through his dark curly locks. His hair was black as soot. The shades kept light from entering into the apartment and I thought it best to brighten up the room. I walked over, drew the curtains, then looked back at my Boyfriend. I smiled as I finally got to see him in the daylight. He's always covering himself up and I am always tempted to just rip his baseball cap off or throw his hoodie back.

I went to the kitchen and decided to make dinner. I slept through lunch which was causing me to be hungry. I told myself that I would wake Carmichael up once the food was ready.

As I cooked I had a strange sense that I was burning something, but all my pots and pans of peppers and noodles and chicken were steaming and cooking perfectly. I wasn't burning anything. That was until I glanced over at Carmichael on the couch and found smoke rising. I ran over and though I didn't find any flames, I found the color of them on Carmichael's face and arms.

I began to panic and freak out.

Why is he burning?!

I tried to find every liable source but came up short. I threw a blanket over him, even though it was hot in the apartment, and wondered why he hadn't woken up from the scorching of his skin and the blanket.

I stood there for a minute watching the smoke dissipate. I sat on my coffee table and just watched the covered up man on my couch with my nose and mouth in my hands.

I lifted the blanket and noticed that the skin that wasn't red wasn't in the sunlight. I turned towards the shades and closed them. I closed all the curtains in my apartment and then went back to Carmichael's side. He was no longer smoking.

This guy has a serious skin condition.

I finished cooking with stress coursing through every fiber of my body. What if I killed him or put him in danger? What if he's not allowed in the sun?

I stood at the stove stirring the vegetables in a pan until strong, large hands wrapped themselves around me and kisses from frozen lips on my neck sent shivers up my spine. I turned around and Carmichael's hands slid across my body. They were now on my hips and he pressed his pelvis against me.

"How are you feeling?" I shakily asked. He shrugged.

"Fine," I looked away.

"Carmichael I left you in the sun!" I rushed out. I removed his hands and slid out from between him and the counter and ran my hands up my arms. "You were burning and smoking and your skin is all—" I turned to look at the melted skin on his arms but there was nothing wrong with them. I realized how dumb I was to have not noticed that his face was also clear of any disfigured skin.

I ran up to him and began turning his arms and face back and forth and up and down.

"But, I watched you burn." Nothing was making sense. Suddenly purple mist covered my vision all around me. I screamed Carmichael's name but I felt so alone.

I covered my eyes and didn't open them until I heard piano playing.