The Healing Abilities of a Vampire

Last Chapter Told In Alexandru's POV

I watched as my wife inched closer to me and the monstrous Gabriel and I pleaded with her to not come any closer. She picked up a dagger off the floor as I was being held down by Gabriel as he stabbed me over and over again.

The moment she left with Lucas and Ana-Maria I went hunting. I did my best to track down a small deer and suck the life out of it. It wasn't enough but it was better than nothing. From there Gabriel and I spoke in the front hall of the castle for a little bit. Then we began to fight. I hadn't fought a hunter in a while and I was angry at how much harder they were to defeat than another vampire. Fighting another vampire, one uses only their claws and their fangs. That is why I had the gypsies. They had weapons to kill vampires. The only way to defeat a vampire was with the proper killing devices. Therefore, fighting a hunter was much harder.

Of course I would have been able to kill Gabriel easily had I been in full strength but I was still sick from the poison that Maggy had been inflicted with. Poor Maggy. My poor, sweet Maggy.

After she left me all those years ago, I silently cried for weeks whenever I walked in some part of the castle that reminded me of her. I didn't know what to do with myself. I was in the same position that I was before she came to the castle. I was alone. I had no purpose, no reason to get up at night. She had been gone. It was over. She was the one and I had let her slip from my grip.

Every waking hour I regretted letting her leave with her aunt. But that regret wasn't as big as the one I felt for erasing her memories. I was no more to her. If I had not taken her memories then she wouldn't have left with her aunt, she would have wanted to stay here at my castle.

For a year I wallowed in self pity. I didn't even gel my hair or care to look proper. I used to care before I met her but after she left I didn't. Maggy would most definitely have not believed the fact of me having sweatpants but I did. As well as sweatshirts. Old clothes from different colleges and social events. I had gone to every prestigious school in the world and could be found in records and archives of famous events. Such as world fairs, Olympics, revolutions, document singing, wars, discoveries, and even in the desert where the American atomic bomb was first tested. Yes, I had seen it all. And what was I doing with the evidence of seeing it all? Lounging on a couch in it in a dark dark room. I had nothing to live for. The world would keep moving while I would be forever stuck in the past.

Tempted many times in finding Maggy. I didn't know where she lived but I could easily find out. I would pack and unpack the same old duffel bag with the same old clothes at least once a week. I daydreamed of seeing her again and somehow restoring her lost memory. I knew how to. I would simply take her places that reminded her of something we did. Like a concert or the beach or play a memorable piece on the piano. Yes, regaining lost memory was easy. However, I would pack my bag then unpack and slip right back into sweats and watch it either rain or snow outside my windows or sit in my dark chambers unmoving in a lonesome corner.

I wondered what my Maggy was doing. Was she going on dates with other men? Was she no longer clean and pure like I remembered? Was she achieving her goals and making friends and living life to the fullest? Was she still playing the piano or maybe picking up the cello again? Was she still reading and speaking Romanian? Was she lonely like me?

The questions never ceased and only got worse with every passing year. I knew her birthday and on her birthday I questioned if another man was kissing those soft, pink lips of hers. I wondered if she ever thought of her parents' death. I wondered if she even tried to make out the unreadable dreams that would forever haunt her, because a vampire's abilities can only do so much. I cannot take away dreams.