One Year Later

Levi began screeching and I climbed out of bed to grab him. I stumbled to his crib but was able to get to it. I turned on a gas lamp and picked my two-month-old son out of his crib. I rocked him in my arms then sat back down on my bed. I nursed him and watched as he slowly went back to sleep. I scooted to the head board and propped pillows up for myself. I held Levi in one arm as I laid Alexandru's head on my stomach. I ran my fingers through his thick curls and closed my eyes. I looked at the time real quick and saw that it was three in the afternoon. The vampire wouldn't be up for another hour.

Once that hour was up I decided to get dressed and have breakfast ready for everyone. I took Levi down to the kitchen with me and began cooking eggs and bacon.

"How's my little prince?" I heard my husband say. I looked over my shoulder and smiled at the image of my tall, skinny husband leaning over to tickle a little child. The baby stuck his tongue out and I laughed.

"Good evening," I said. Alexandru gave me a kiss then went back to his son. He picked the babe up and rocked him in his arms like a giant football. He placed his cold hand on the bottom of my back as he spoke.

"I have to go into town today."

"Really? Why?" We hardly ever go into town.

"Tavian wants to meet up."

"Why not here?" Alexandru tilted his head in a nervous manner.

"He doesn't want whoever's following him to come here." I turned back to my cooking, suddenly frustrated.

"He disappears for five months without a word just like always and only ever comes around when he needs help." Alexandru didn't object.

"I'm sorry," he softly said. I turned back around and watched him lift Levi up and down lovingly in the nook of his elbow.

When I told Alexandru that I was pregnant  around two months after our talk, he was actually overjoyed. Throughout the months he would make sure that I was eating correctly and getting enough sleep. I think my favorite thing he did, though, was play piano as I sat beside him on the bench in the ballroom.

Ever since Levi was born, Alexandru found every possible way to hold his son. If I wasn't holding him, the vampire was. He loved his son and needed him more than I thought. I always wanted children and now it is evident that he wanted them too.

"It's okay," I said as I slipped loose hair behind my ear. My hair was up in a bun and I knew I didn't look the most attractive wearing sweatpants and a sweater. Alexandru wore blacks slacks, a white button up, and a black vest. And of course his hair was perfect and fluffy.

He kissed his son's forehead then turned to me with a smile. Ana-Maria soon came down with Berman and Lukas. We all had breakfast together until Alexandru left.

He didn't show up all night. I began to worry for him when the sun began to rise. Where is he?

Near morning, I kissed a sleeping Levi's little brown head and placed him in his crib. Then, suddenly, two ice cold hands snuck under my shirt and I shivered at the touch. I kinked my neck to the side as freezing lips kissed my skin. I drew my hand into the air and behind me until it touched my husband's cheek. I turned my head and our lips collided. His large frosty hands tightened around my stomach and pulled me into his stiff chest. He turned me around and pressed me up against our son's crib. Alexandru placed his hands on my shoulders and I placed mine on his hips. He peered over my shoulder at our son then hugged me tight.

"You smell of smoke, like cigarette smoke." I pointed out. He shrugged.

"Tavian smokes occasionally and thinks that smoking makes him look cool." Alexandru pulled me over to the bed and he sat down as he rested his face against my stomach.

I ran my fingers through his dark hair as I asked, "Why do you like to lay on my stomach?"

"I like hearing your heartbeat."