Chapter 8

It is the next day, and Ash is slowly waking up in his bedroom. He sits upon his bed and stretches while Pikachu gets up from his spot next to him and yawns cutely.

"Morning, Pikachu," Ash greets with a smile. "Sleep well?"

"Pikachu," Pikachu replies happily.

"Great. Let's go downstairs and get some breakfast," Ash suggests.

Pikachu happily nods in agreement, and Ash gets up to change out of his pajamas. The two of them make their way downstairs and head to the kitchen, where they find Delia and Serena cooking together.

"Morning, Mom. Morning, Serena," Ash greets.

"Ash, you're up early," Delia says with a smile.

"Good morning, Ash. Are you hungry?" Serena asks sweetly.

"You bet," Ash answers with a determined grin.

"Good. We're almost done, so why don't you set up the plates and utensils," Serena says with a warm smile.

Ash does as he is told while Delia and Serena finish cooking. Ash gets a bowl of Pokemon food for Pikachu and places it on the table for the yellow mouse to eat with him, Delia and Serena. After bringing the food to the table, Delia and Serena sit down with Ash, and the three of them hold each others' hands and say grace before they start eating. For a couple of minutes, they eat in silence until Ash remembers something.

"Oh yeah, Serena, have you told my mom what we decided yet?" He asks.

Delia and Serena look at him in confusion before Serena remembers what he's talking about.

"No, I haven't had the chance," she answers.

"That's okay," Ash says with a friendly smile before turning to his mother. "I'm going with Serena on her journey."

Delia's eyes widen in surprise.

"Really? That's great," she says happily. "But, are you still planning to compete in this year's Kanto League?"

"Yup. That's why I want to join," Ash answers. "Both the Kanto League and the Grand Festival are going to take place in the Indigo Plateau, and they're just a few weeks away from each other. Besides, Serena was such a terrific help when she supported me during the Kalos League, so it would be great to have her with me again while I also help her with her contests."

As Ash takes another bite of his food after giving that information, Delia turns to Serena, who looks away and nods with her cheeks turning pink.

"Well, that sounds like a wonderful idea, sweetie," Delia says happily. "I'm sure that you will both do great helping each other out."

"Thank you, Mrs. Ketchum," Serena says.

"Yeah, thanks, Mom," Ash says with his mouth full.

Delia smiles warmly in response before she realizes something.

"So have you thought about what Pokemon to bring with you, Ash?" She asks.

Ash pauses in mid-chew and swallows before scratching his chin in thought.

"I haven't thought about that," he admits before turning to Serena. "We could go to Professor Oak's lab today and see all of my Pokemon."

Serena smiles brightly and says, "That sounds like a great idea."

"Awesome. I know everyone will be happy to meet you," Ash says with a toothy grin.

"Pikachu," Pikachu says in agreement.