Chapter 56

After May and Serena check up on their Pokemon, they return to the Main Stage stadium with time from the break to spare. The two of them decide to take seats on opposite sides of the waiting room while Dawn, Piplup, Drew, and Solidad have left to watch the show from the stands. The honey blonde performer and the brown-haired coordinator dare not look at each other as they keep their eyes on the ground and think hard about how they are going to beat each other.

As they are waiting, there's a knock on the door, and the two girls turn their heads to see Ash, Pikachu, Clemont, Bonnie, Max, Brock, Holly, and Grace coming in. Serena and May both smile and stand up to meet them.

"What are you guys doing here?" Serena asks.

"We wanted to say good luck to you both before the final battle starts," Brock says.

"Aw, thanks, you guys," May says.

"No problem, sis," Max says. "How does it feel to make it to the finals?"

May thinks about it for a moment before she smiles brightly and says, "Honestly, it feels wonderful! I feel like I can take on anything now that I've finally beaten both Drew and Solidad in a contest battle. I can practically feel that beautiful Ribbon Cup in my hands."

"Yeah, you would feel that way, May," Brock chortles.

"How about you, Serena?" Grace asks, smirking. "How are you feeling about making it this far on your debut as a coordinator?"

Serena smiles and says, "It does feel pretty great to me too, especially after defeating Giselle, Harley, and Dawn. Though speaking of Dawn, where is she?"

"She and Piplup are sitting down at the stands from where we are," Clemont answers. "She sends her best wishes to both of you."

May and Serena nod before the former thinks for a moment and says, "So who is rooting for who now that it's the two of us?"

"That's easy," Max states proudly. "I'm rooting for my big sister all the way."

"Not us. Clemont and I are rooting for Serena no matter what," Bonnie says proudly too.

"Hey, don't forget me," Grace says. "She's my daughter, so I'm rooting for her too."

"I'm rooting for Serena because I've been traveling with her the longest," Holly says with a smirk.

Brock chuckles and says, "I honestly can't decide. I think I'm going to be happy for one and sad for the other no matter what happens."

Everyone then suddenly turns to Ash and Bonnie smugly asks, "How about you, Ash? Who are you rooting for?"

Ash feels uneasy with everyone looking at him. He turns to Pikachu, who is standing on his shoulder, and the mouse Pokemon just shrugs. The raven-haired boy chuckles nervously and scratches under his nose.

"The thing is, while I would be happy for either of you to win, I told Serena I would be rooting for her all the way," he says. "So, I'm going to keep cheering for her with everything I've got."

Serena looks at Ash touched while May pouts childishly.

"No fair," she whines. "You've been rooting for me the longest."

"Sorry, May, but my mind is made up," Ash says with a shrug. "I left Pallet Town in part to support Serena, and I"m gonna keep supporting her until the very end."

"Pikachu," Pikachu says with a smile.

Serena smiles warmly, and a light blush appears on her cheeks. May notices the way her honey blonde friend is reacting and can't help but smile too. Serena thinks about how Ash has been true to his word throughout their journey, and just looking at him was enough to encourage her during her battle with Dawn. The moment is interrupted, however, when an attendant enters the room.