Chapter 47

Three days passed until Ash, Pikachu, Ritchie. Sparky, Serena, Brock, and Holly finally make their way in Viridian City. Ash, Ritchie, and Brock have been telling stories about the adventures they had with Misty is greater detail, much to the pleasure of Holly and Serena. By the time they reach the Pokemon Center to have Oshawott, Gigalith, Gabite, Cruise, Rose, and Wraps looked at, the two female trainers feel like they know the guys they like a little more just by watching them reconnect with their old friend. Once Ash and Ritchie's Pokemon are fully healed, they all start walking to the Viridian City gym.

"So who is going to battle Agatha first?" Ritchie asks.

Ash and Holly look at each other, and the auburn-haired woman is quick to wave her hands and say, "You can go first, Ash. I honestly want to get an idea of what I'm up against by watching you battle her just like when Max battled Blaine before me."

"Sounds good to me," Ash says. "As long as I beat Agatha and win so that I feel like I've properly earned my Earth Badge."

"Pikachu," Pikachu says in agreement.

"It's pretty amazing that a member of the Elite Four is temporarily taking over a gym," Ritchie says. "I remember when it was this guy in a suit."

"A guy in a suit?" Serena asks.

"Yeah, he wouldn't even be on the battlefield with me when I challenged him," Ritchie explains. "He would just sit in a fancy chair up on a balcony above his side of the field with this Persian that was sitting next to him. He didn't seem completely invested in the battle. He just ordered his Pokemon while we battled with his voice sounding so detached from the moment. He didn't even show any emotion when I defeated his Pokemon. He just had someone hand me my badge and told me to be on my way."

"That is strange," Brock says.

"Maybe you should tell Agatha that, Ritchie," Serena suggests. "She has been wondering who the last gym leader was and what happened to him."

"Really?" Ritchie asks.

"Yeah, all she has to go on is my gym battle against Team Rocket," Ash says.

"Well, then I guess after you guys have your battles, I'll do that before I head home," Ritchie says.

"You're going to leave after our battles?" Ash asks, surprised.

"Yeah, my family is still waiting for me," Ritchie says. "I can only stay long enough to see you both win...or lose."

"Hey," Ash says while Ritchie gives him a teasing smirk. "I'm going to win no matter what Agatha throws at me."

"Pikachu!" Pikachu says.

"Me too!" Holly claims determinedly.

"That's the spirit, you too," Serena chortles with her eyes closed.

"What Serena said," Brock agrees.

Thus, the five of them and Pikachu and Sparky keep walking until they make their way to the Viridian City gym. Ash knocks on one of the two big doors, and they both open. The group walks inside the dark entryway, wondering if anyone apart from them is inside until the lights suddenly turn on to reveal the battlefield and Agatha standing on the other side with a confident smirk on her face.

"Ash, Serena, how good of you both to come," she greets. "I assume this means you have finished rechallenging the other gyms, young man?"

"I sure have," Ash says proudly. "I have successfully defeated Sabrina, Erika, Misty, and Brock in a fair battle, and now I'm ready to have another battle with you, Agatha."