Chapter 45

"Ta-da!" Serena says, in a singing voice.

Everyone is at the Pokemon Center closest to the Battle Tower, and Serena is proudly showing all five of her contest ribbons to her mom, who is appearing on the videophone.

"That's wonderful, Serena," Grace says, pleased. "I'm so proud of you."

"Oh, Mom," Serena says, feeling somewhat embarrassed.

Grace smiles at her daughter's demeanor before she asks, "So where and when is the Grand Festival?"

"It starts in two weeks at the Indigo Plateau," Serena answers.

"Well, then I'll guess I better get ready," Grace says.

Serena looks at her mom, confused.

"Do you really think I'm going to miss out on your first Grand Festival?" Grace asks.

"Really? You're coming over here?" Serena asks excitedly.

"Of course, I am" Grace says with a motherly smile. "I was there for the Master Class, I see no reason not to be there for the Grand Festival. But I want to see you give it everything you've got. Okay?"

Serena smiles brightly and gives Grace a confident nod.

"You got it. I'm going to win no doubt about it," she says.

"That's what I like to hear," Grace says.

Serena is about to speak again when Coovers enters the building, looking slightly impatient.

"Hey, Serena, hurry up. We're all waiting on you," he says.

"Coming," Serena calls out before turning back to the screen. "Looks like I better let you go, Mom."

"Alright, dear," Grace says. "I'll see you in two weeks then."

"Okay, see you then," Serena says.

The image of Grace disappears, and Serena turns to Coovers and follows him out of the Pokemon Center, where Ash, Pikachu, Brock, Holly, Scott, Anabel, Timothy, and Electchu are waiting for her. Thus, the group gets in Scott's car and begin riding their way to the Battle Tower. Brock and Holly giggle like little children as the auburn-haired woman sits on the young tan man's lap. Everyone else is quiet until they reach the tower, and Electchu exits the car first with a confused look.

"Rai, Rai, Rai, Rai, Rai, Raichu," it says.

Anabel chuckles with her mouth closed as the others exit the car and says, "Yes, I suppose it is rather tall for a place that just has a battlefield inside."

Timothy and Coovers turn to Anabel, shocked.

"Wait a minute, you can understand what Electchu is saying too?" Timothy asks.

"Not exactly," Anabel answers. "It's more like I'm able to sense what Pokemon like your Raichu's feelings are."

"Huh?" Coovers says, confused. "Isn't that kind of the same thing you can do, Timothy?"

"Yeah, Coovers is right," Timothy says. "I can tell whatever Electchu is saying even though it's just saying his name."

"Wow, then you two must have a pretty deep bond," Anabel says, impressed. "But what I have is a little different. You see I'm empathic, so I can understand the feelings of both Pokemon and people."

"Yeah, it's so amazing that Anabel can do that," Ash praises. "She can even communicate with her Pokemon without saying a word. It's totally awesome."